Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using a complex assembly as a sub-assembly in another document?

james_kingdonjames_kingdon Member Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
Hi,

What's the best way of using a complex assembly as a sub-assembly in another document? I've searched the forum and found mention of copy/pasting tabs between documents, but this only appears to apply to part studios. For a complex assembly there is a lot of work in the assembly itself, and it will be frustrating to have to re-do this work in every document where we want to re-use an assembly. I tried exporting the assembly in parasolid format, and this looked promising, but when imported the individual parts of the sub-assembly had lost their mates and so did not remain connected when I tried to use them in the new larger assembly.

Do any of the export formats export an assembly as a single connected entity? I'm not worried about retaining the animation of the sub-assembly, I just want it to act as a single 'thing' so that I can see how it fits in the new larger structure.

Thanks for any pointers!

James

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    after importing the parasolid into a tab/part studio in a new document you'll need to insert all the parts into an assembly. Then you can box select all the parts and select the group tool. Now all the parts will retain there relative position to each other.
  • Options
    james_kingdonjames_kingdon Member Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
    Excellent! Many thanks Dave, that worked well.
  • Options
    luigi_d_amicoluigi_d_amico Member Posts: 2 EDU
    what if I wanted to keep the animation behind it when doing this process 
  • Options
    luigi_d_amicoluigi_d_amico Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Neverminded I've found a solution, if you make a copy of the assembly and then move it to a different workspace you can keep all of its movement intact. So go to file like if your exporting but instead click move to and the select the document you want to transfer it to.