Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating 2D drawing of end view in a stl file

charles_harris178charles_harris178 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I have a .stl file loaded  with an end view, to create a 2d drawing with dimensions  of the end view do I need to convert the file extension and where are the tabs for creating 2D ?

Comments

• charles_harris178charles_harris178 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Still trying.  With the stl file how do i get to save as a part and then it will show up in list of parts to select for 2D.  Been thru tutorials but not catching the right one.  There is only the toolbar with chamfers etc showing no toolbar for the lines  circles etc.
    What is the first thing to do after stl file has loaded ? so that I can work on it etc  only the one toolba so far
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Mesh data cannot be used in assemblies or drawings. It is only for reference while modelling in a Part Studio. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • charles_harris178charles_harris178 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    If I only have the .stl  how do I get a workable solution into Part Studio ?   Change the file extension
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Mesh

Onshape enables you to import three faceted file formats: STL, OBJ and Parasolid Mesh for visualization and referencing. Mesh points are able to be used as vertices for creating planes.

A mesh is imported into Onshape Part Studio, and shown in the Parts lists under Meshes (below Surfaces).

This is from the Help file

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @charles_harris178 - Where did the file come from? Can you get whoever made the STL to export the file in a different format? If you can get the model as one of the file types listed here, you'll be able to edit the geometry and you'll be able create a drawing of the file. 

If you're unable to get the model in a different format (changing the extension won't help), perhaps you could just re-create the model in onshape. 

When you're ready to create a drawing - you start out by clicking the "+" at the bottom of the document window to create a new tab, then select "drawing". Or, you can right-click on the part in the parts list and there is an option to create a drawing of the part. 

Check out the tutorials in the help documentation to get an overview of the basic modeling and drawing functions.