Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make a triangular shape with the cross section of a cylinder.

seb_the_pleb_seb_the_pleb_ Member Posts: 2
I have made a part, I then wanted to separate the part into two parts so I made a new studio with each half. I managed to make the desired shape in the one piece version (seen as the red section in image) but now that it is separated and there is no face to select when I extrude to face. This is due to the part not sitting on a cylinder, instead it is on a plane. I am lost on how to get this shape repeated on a plane.

I would like to extrude up to face using the sketch of the circle below to get a cylindrical cross section.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    so I made a new studio with each half

You should not need to create a second Part Studio - use the Split feature to separate the part you made into two (in the same Part Studio).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @seb_the_pleb_

I would like to extrude up to face using the sketch of the circle below to get a cylindrical cross section.

On a vertical plane, there is a triangle that is highlighted in orange. Is this the FACE you’re talking about? And if so, does the GIF below show what it is that you are looking for?

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Or extrude the cylinder straight up and then the triangle with 'Intersect' to get the wedge shape in cylinder if that is what you want.

www.accuratepattern.com