Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Students copying work

kevin_day880kevin_day880 Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello fellow Onshapers. Quick question. I have my students doing a simple project. I shared a video series, step-by-step guide to make this project, so all models are the same visually. Each student is assigned to a team so I can see who made the files. It appears that students are copy/pasting/ sharing a file and then re-naming it to claim it as their own. I can see from the Version History that it is not original as there are no changes of modifications, just part created and maybe a material colour change. Is their any scenario where the student could have done the work and it does not have a history. Some students claim they did it on a different device... but I'm sure the history would be there as it is cloud based and what device they use wouldn't matter.. Any opinions ? Thanks 

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Doing work on any device would cause the history to be captured. If there is no history, that means the document was copied.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    edited March 2021
    @kevin_day880
    Additionally, any parts/assemblies in the Start Version of the document indicate that it was copied.

Check out this short video on Evaluating Academic Integrity of Documents: https://learn.onshape.com/courses/evaluating-academic-integrity-of-documents 
  • francois_bouletfrancois_boulet Member Posts: 65 EDU
    I had a case where a student copied his own document  trying to fix a problem. This is a significant possibility

La simplicité est la sophistication suprême.
    Léonard de Vinci
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    If he made a copy to fix a problem????, then he can show you the original document with the problem as well
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited March 2021
    The first lesson should be an introduction to the version graph. Show how it captures every change and puts a username and a time stamp. And that will be the first thing the teacher will look at. If it looks fishy it should be an automatic failure. 
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    The first lesson should be an introduction to the version graph. Show how it captures every change and puts a username and a time stamp. And that will be the first thing the teacher will look at. If it looks fishy it should be an automatic failure. 
    Yes. That is what I do. I show the students that I can track the what and who. Seems to keep most on the straight and narrow.