Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Adding Dimension to an ellipse

IsleofGoughIsleofGough Member Posts: 26
I am learning Onshape and tried to recreate a simple hemostat. The template (sketch) for the hemostat has an ellipse. When I come to creating a drawing, the dimension tool does not seem to work on the ellipse. What I would like is the width and length of the ellipse. How is this done? Thanks.

Comments

• IsleofGoughIsleofGough Member Posts: 26
    The tip to add points and show sketches was very helpful. I can get it to work with a drawing based on a part but not a drawing based on an assembly.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    This may or may not work, but here is another tip:
    • Dimension to something, anything
    • Click the dimension line so that it is highlighted, (This will ensure that when you drag the dimension point, it grabs the selected dimension even if there are multiple lines overlapping)
    • Drag the ends of the dimension to the orthogonal positions of the ellipse

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    The first method worked great but for some reason, I couldn't get the second method to snap to anything after the first point.
    Thank you very much for the solutions!
  • paul_myers999paul_myers999 Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I have the same issues.
        - Can't use the sketch option in an assembly drawing.
        - The drag approach seems to snap to weird places.

You might be able to use the Shift-q keyboard shortcut to select quadrants of an ellipse from here
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6010/how-does-one-dimension-an-ellipse-in-drawings

My design is a swept feature around an ellipse, and all of these options seem to work in the minor axis, but not on the major axis.