Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I move the Origin of a drawing so that the 3 planes intersect at a new location?

tony_gtony_g Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
The subject line says it all.  I know that the Origin and the 3 planes cannot be deleted, but I'd like to relocate the Origin..

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drawings don't really have a default origin. You use whatever feature/line you want as the baseline of your dimensions.

When you say drawing do you mean 3D model? If so, the origin cannot be moved. However, geometry can be moved relative to the origin, yielding a similar effect. You can also create Mate Connectors wherever you want, which can act like an origin/coordinate system.
  • tony_gtony_g Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply.  The reason I'd like to move my origin is the following:  when I draw a part that is off center, the drawing doesn't self-center and fill the screen even if I resize the drawing plane by dragging its corner marker.  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong...
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @tony_g - When using the "F" key shortcut for "zoom to fit", the view takes all entities into account, not just the one you're working with. Similarly, if you're clicking on a face of the view cube to select a few, it'll zoom in or out to show everything on the screen. 

Maybe if you can move or re-size the other planes, you can get these views to show your part better. 

Alternatively, you can use the "transform" tool to move a part to the origin if you want. 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    edited March 2021
    You can hide the origin and default planes and zoom extents will center only on what is visible 
  • tony_gtony_g Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thank you all.  Resizing ALL 3 planes, not just the Front one as I was doing, sort of resolves my problem.
  • Glenn_4Glenn_4 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Thank you, @tony_g for asking this!  It seems to me like the "F" key ("zoom to fit") should always zoom to fit the part, and not even consider the original three construction planes that the program itself created.

This seems like a design flaw of OnShape that this needs a workaround.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    This is the way it works and I like it.  As @john_mcclary says hide the origin & planes.  Remember the keyboard shortcuts - "Shift P" hide planes, origin, construction geometry (SWEET),  "P" to show planes.  

www.accuratepattern.com