Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cancel rebuild?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
When a design gets heavy it can take a while to rebuild. While I understand minimizing rebuild time is the best practice, sometimes it can't be avoided. It seems like my rebuild time is taking a lot longer than the times listed, and I think it's because it is rebuilding a few times in a row because I've made a few changes in a row. It seems to a layperson like me that Onshape ought to be able to stop previous rebuild cycles when something new is introduced that would cause another rebuild anyway. Is there a reason why it can't? Am I even understanding the issue correctly? Even a manual Cancel Rebuild or Pause Rebuild option would be great sometimes.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Occasionally, I have the same issue. A selective rebuild would be great: temporarily pause the main rebuild until you are ready. This is what assemblies are made for, however, sometimes assemblies aren't capable of doing what a part studio can do.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • George_AndersonGeorge_Anderson Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Absolutely agree, this would be very valuable to me. As an interim, I wish I could merely *know* what OnShape is doing, when it triggers a rebuild, how many seconds have elapsed, etc.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Count me in too! In large, complicated models, there are definitely times where I need to make several edits in the middle of the feature tree. The ability to cancel or pause rebuild when I know I need to make several changes would be awesome.

Who's going to make the feature request? 

Edit: just found and voted on this: Freeze Rebuild / Edit in Rollback mode — Onshape
  • Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    I have a featurescript that the profiling says it takes 20 seconds to regenerate, but the regen time reports 32 seconds to regenerate. The actual time until the document fully loads and is responsive is more like 5 minutes. As i am writing this, it is still loading, It has been around 10 minutes.

I have seen similar situations in solidworks Macrofeatures (minus the unbelievably long loading time). The extra time was the parasolid kernel doing who knows what. Possibly finalizing the feature, generating graphics.  I, on average, recorded nearly 40% of my regen time in solidworks being consumed by the parasolid kernel through profile analysis. I would expect that this is the same thing.

I spend half my day waiting to see my featurescript changes, the other half programming them.

Regarding the suspend regeneration , I also enabled my solidworks Addin to cancel regen so many features could be updated at once. I could modify hundreds of features all at once with one regeneration. The alternate to that was wait hours for the features to update. 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited March 2021
    Count me in too! In large, complicated models, there are definitely times where I need to make several edits in the middle of the feature tree. The ability to cancel or pause rebuild when I know I need to make several changes would be awesome.

Who's going to make the feature request? 

Edit: just found and voted on this: Freeze Rebuild / Edit in Rollback mode — Onshape
    lol. I guess it's been on my mind for a while now... long enough to forget making that request 3+ years ago
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese - I wondered if that was the case, or if it was two separate issues! 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I think it's two separate ideas getting at the same problem. This current thread was originally wondering if Onshape could just automatically cancel a rebuild without the user having to know about it.