Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations that supress parts

Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
@NeilCooke, I am making a coupler that has a male and a female design.  There will be two parts in the design and I would like to toggle each one on and off depending on which configuration I choose.  In configurations, it shows I can select sketches or features to configure the design.  Because there are so many features to build these two parts that are shared it would be best if there was an option to toggle the finished parts on and off instead of selecting sketches or features.  I found a workaround in the Assembly configurations but that adds another step that is not necessary.  Can parts be added to the configurations selections for us in the future?

Here is my design and what I was able to create with the Assembly workaround.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e9ff24f64b44f18f13061e4/w/f63474a29d34048cf2727133/e/0c0e15b51d9603279a1d096a?configuration=male=true

Thanks,
Logan
Tagged:

Comments

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I think you should start with a Part Studio with a configuration.
    Here a link for the help file
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/configurations.htm?tocpath=Part Studios|_____9
    There are also lot,s of tutorial,s
  • Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @dirk_van_der_vaart, but if I created the parts individually with separate sketches and features the workload would double.  Being able to toggle on and off parts would be the best and quickest solution to this example unless I am missing something that allows for this. 
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your configurable features are already separated into different parts/bodies, then you could configure a Delete feature. You could either have separate Delete features that would be suppressed/unsuppressed depending on configuration, or you could configure what is selected by a single Delete feature.
    edited March 2021
    That is very similar to what I came up with in my original assembly.  I used Checkbox configuration and you did it with a List.  The List was a lot simpler but still not what I'm getting at.  I'd like to have the option to hide an actual part inside the Part Studio with configurations instead of features and sketches and not have to create an assembly in order to do that.

Thanks.
    mahir said:
    If your configurable features are already separated into different parts/bodies, then you could configure a Delete feature. You could either have separate Delete features that would be suppressed/unsuppressed depending on configuration, or you could configure what is selected by a single Delete feature.
    In hindsight, if I would have designed these parts with that in mind then that would be fairly straight forward but would have a ton of features to suppress in order to get the parts suppressed.  

Thank you all for your help and input.  I'm hoping the ability to add part suppression in the part studio will come out in an update down the line.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Logan_5
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm not talking about suppressing individual features that you used to make the part. I meant you could use a Delete feature to delete specific solid bodies and leave the ones you want. This could be done with a single Delete feature. Even if you don't have separate part bodies, you could create them using Split. After that using Delete would be relatively simple.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Why is it a problem that you have two parts showing in the Part Studio, especially if they are in fact two different parts? @mahir 's suggestion of configuring the selections in a Delete Part feature will do the trick, but I don't see why two parts is an issue.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    NeilCooke said:
    Why is it a problem that you have two parts showing in the Part Studio, especially if they are in fact two different parts? @mahir 's suggestion of configuring the selections in a Delete Part feature will do the trick, but I don't see why two parts is an issue.
    @NeilCooke, Hi Neil and thank you for responding to my question about the improvement request to add parts to the selection for creating configurations. 
    This is not a problem showing the two parts in the Part Studio.  What I found when I designed these two parts in one part studio with a common sketch was that I needed to create an assembly in order to configure those two parts to turn one on and the other off to make drawings of each separately.

This was an added step that could be accomplished within the part studio if Parts were able to be added to the selection guide for configurations.  I think it would be super simple and clean for future projects that have multiple parts or designs created with the same sketches and features as is in this case. 
    @Logan_5 you can create drawings of individual configured parts from the same Part Studio. 
    NeilCooke said:
    @Logan_5 you can create drawings of individual configured parts from the same Part Studio. 
    @NeilCooke, I just went to create a new drawing in that part studio and realized I could do this.    I still think the option to suppress parts in the configuration pallet might be something to look into in the future.  

Thanks for your help everyone.  I am a day time SolidWorks user and a night time OnShape user for personal projects.  I still need a few things added to the OS arsenal before I make the switch for my day job.  Hopefully, those improvements get worked into the line up this year.
    Logan_5 said:  I still need a few things added to the OS arsenal before I make the switch for my day job.  Hopefully, those improvements get worked into the line up this year.
    Don't be shy in letting us know what those are.
    NeilCooke said:
    Logan_5 said:  I still need a few things added to the OS arsenal before I make the switch for my day job.  Hopefully, those improvements get worked into the line up this year.
    Don't be shy in letting us know what those are.
    Thanks, @NeilCooke.  I have submitted an improvement request for weld caterpillars in drawings.  I create a lot of welding drawings and need to show graphically where those welds go in a drawing.  This would be a big step towards my conversion to OS.