Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating offset shaped extrusions

mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited March 2021 in Using Onshape
If I am not clear in the title take a look at the two pictures of this Sunvisor plate in which holds your sun visors at the left and right corners with  two screws. I want to replicate these and need to know how sketch the center cylindrical piece that leans to one side. this is where the ball end goes into and the rod continues on through the angled hole at the tip.

Comments

• SmithSmith Member Posts: 7 EDU
    You could try using the revolute tool and then shell out the inside of it when you're done.  Here's two screenshots of a rough draft I did:
    Hope this helps,
    Ethan
  • mark_cunninghammark_cunningham Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thank you, that is very helpful! How were you able to shell this section out?! I'm having difficulty doing that and keep the top section an even hole then open up to the  large section?!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/433deee52e5f18886e22ded2/w/4928f386a09e70106279800d/e/313e6d1b918364ba8a1c4c7e
    Still  cannot hollow out  the center protrusion and still have a hole straight into the larger cavity. Well the cavity needed.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @mark_cunningham

Here is link to above doc  Step through the features to see how I did it.

Besides the two issues above, I suggest you spend time cleaning up your model as it will make it easier to get things right and trouble shoot. A few suggestions:
    1)  Sketches should be fully defined,
    2) Name at least some of the features. 
    3) You have redundant or unneeded sketches.
    4) When you are designing from reference pictures, it is best to put them in correct position and then you can make a new sketch directly over them.
    5) Not sure of your intent - do you want 3 parts?  Otherwise you could Boolean the 'bushings' to main part OR better yet, they the counter-bored holes should just be done with your first sketch and extrude,  No need to make separate parts.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    @mark_cunningham

Here is link to above doc  Step through the features to see how I did it.

Besides the two issues above, I suggest you spend time cleaning up your model as it will make it easier to get things right and trouble shoot. A few suggestions:
    1)  Sketches should be fully defined,
    2) Name at least some of the features. 
    3) You have redundant or unneeded sketches.
    4) When you are designing from reference pictures, it is best to put them in correct position and then you can make a new sketch directly over them.
    5) Not sure of your intent - do you want 3 parts?  Otherwise you could Boolean the 'bushings' to main part OR better yet, they the counter-bored holes should just be done with your first sketch and extrude,  No need to make separate parts.
    It should be a one piece part!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @mark_cunningham

Your original design created the three parts.  I gave you options in point 5 on how to do that.  Are you on track otherwise?
    www.accuratepattern.com