Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Anyone need a hand?

alex_pitt472alex_pitt472 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2020 in General

Here's my Onshape model of a human hand. (Left hand only at the moment.) Please feel free to link or copy the document and if you like it, please “Like” it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6a41b540113a04c421be2a84/w/f9d4cf544e5bd687e63a9fb4/e/f437b39c8e0876b4c8f59c32

It's roughly based on my own left hand (geometrically that is). Set up with various poses, skin and nail colours and two nail shape options.

I hope you find it useful or at least fun.

The model is far from perfect. If starting from scratch, I’d create it differently as it was somewhat haphazardly cobbled together.  I’ve no particular expertise in Anatomy, Physiology or Orthopedics, therefore positions of joints may be slightly “off”, making some of the poses look a little unnatural. It‘s also subject to the peculiarities of my own hand size and shape. Finally there’s a little bug that needs addressing. (The Thenar Web mates) 

However I hope that the quality is good enough for most.  The colours were chosen arbitrarily to represent a broad range of the population. The poses are based on the hand emojis of apps like “WhatsApp” with what I hope are some useful and interesting additions.

Future Additions / Improvements.

A Right Hand. Mirroring the parts is easy enough. The assembly set-up takes a little longer. (I’ve heard talk of mirroring assemblies. I hope it’s in the pipeline and not just a dirty rumour!)

More Poses.  It’s a pity the “Named positions” aren’t accessible when linking the doc. This would make it far quicker to add new ones. Creating the Poses configuration table was one of the most time consuming aspects of the project.

Grafting onto a Body!  ErgoMan needs some hands!

More Ergonomics? I’d love the ability to vary the hand proportions and size.  But I’d want to remodel from scratch; a huge project for which I don’t have the time unfortunately.

Free

The “Free”  pose configuration allows free-drag movement within a constrained range which hopefully allows most hand gestures. Due to the set-up the hand can be contorted into strange looking positions...

Ouch!

Thenar Web Bug

The Thenar Web is the fleshy bit in between thumb and index finger. Its position is defined with a revolute mate on the thumb base and a tangent mate on the palm. This mate combo has 2 solutions leading to instability so can sometimes flip 180 degrees. When it pops out (as per the image above left) please check the box, rotate it roughly into place and uncheck.

Acknowledgements:

Neil Cooke provided a nifty feature script to facilitate colour configuration. This was developed by Evan Reese, whose FS I have used. Thanks to both!

Bruce Bartlett suggested the workflow of configuring Revolute ranges for poses. Thanks Bruce!

Finally, thanks to the Onshape team for developing such a fantastic environment in which to design.

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    this is insane! I'm glad the Part Color feature could be used to make the model inclusive and the nails snazzy 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Did you find a workflow to let you position it manually then capture those positions in the config, or is each one created manually?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • alex_pitt472alex_pitt472 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Hi Evan, The configs were created manually; a fairly tedious process. Workflow was something like this...
    Use "Named Positions" to create all of the poses.
    Create "Poses" config table and add all of the Revolute min and max ranges. 
    Export the table format to a Google Sheet.
    In Onshape, working though each named position, select each revolute mate in turn.  It's value pops up in the graphics area. Enter that value in the google sheet until the table is populated.
    Copy-paste the Google Sheet into the Onshape Config table.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    That's amazing. Great job
  • marcus_bernsteinmarcus_bernstein Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 EDU
    This is awesome! Used it today to make some quick renders for a handheld. Thanks for putting this together and for sharing!
    Any chance Onshape is looking for interns?

Philadelphia User Group Leader
  • alex_pitt472alex_pitt472 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @marcus_bernstein you're welcome! Thanks for the feedback!
  • matthew_barbercheck710matthew_barbercheck710 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I just tried to click into the file and it's not allowing me. Messages: "×CloseFailed to get document details. Resource does not exist, or you do not have permission to access it." 

I'd like to use this file with my students, is there a way I can get access to it?
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    The document seems unavailable. Pity. Could have been great for the rehabilitation project on which I work. 
  • emilienemilien Member Posts: 1
    @alex_pitt472 Look amazing but it's unavailable now, is it possible to put it back ?
  • dee_morferdee_morfer Member Posts: 4
    great job, nice features added!
  • dee_morferdee_morfer Member Posts: 4
    Looks amazing
  • hayden_moesserhayden_moesser Member Posts: 2 EDU
    i can't open it
  • Moshe_AbbettMoshe_Abbett Member Posts: 2
    @alex_pitt472 it looks really cool but its not accessible is there any way to make it accessible
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Hi Alex, I think this document may be private, could you make it public as I'd love to have a closer look.
    Great job!
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited September 2022
    Hi @alex_pitt472 I also need this. Please check if its private. Thank you! Great Job
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • matbogusmatbogus Member Posts: 3 EDU
    This looks amazing @alex_pitt472 - but unfortunately the link seems to be out-of-date. Does anyone have access to a document with this hand?
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Hi All, Thanks for the feedback! Apologies, not sure why it got unshared but I've made it public again. Hope it's useful to you.