Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you turn the result of an action (mirror) into a new separate part to be edited separately?

karl_mochelkarl_mochel Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
How do you turn the result of an action (mirror) into a new separate part to be edited separately from the original?

I have a part that has many aspects I want. I mirrored it, but I want to delete and add new features to the result. I assume I want a new part to do this too.

On the other hand, I don't mind sharing features between the parts, but some will not be shared and I don't know how to share some aspects while still being able to merge differences into two different final solids.

Comments

• BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Without seeing the exact document you're working on, my workflow would be:
    1. Create the part with all features that are common between the parts.
    2. Mirror the part to create a new part. This will create a new instance that you can apply edits to.

3. Add the unique features to each part.
    Here's a part studio as an example.
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador