Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

CAM for onshape

Hi,
 I there any plans for CAM integration into Onshape?

I currently use HSM and saw they have a free version for inventor and solidworks, maybe Onshape can get on that list?

Comments

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see it a cloud app and not just a desktop version. 2D cutting (waterjet/plasma/laser)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @frank_martinez By free I think this means that if you buy the desktop version then they'll give you a free connector to you CAD application...

VisualCAMc was the Onshape app-store CAM of choice.  Have you had the opportunity to look at that?
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are relying on partners for this today.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    VisualCAMc looks good, but it is pretty pricey.  I'm toying about with Kiri:Moto which seems a bit basic, but it might get the job done.  Currently I am just exporting everything to Fusion 360 and using it's CAM function, which is pretty nice. 
  • FdaFda Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    That the C.A.D design workbench is linked with the C.A.M manufacturing workbench in the same software package. It is a strong argument for #TRADITIONALCADSUCKS not to end up being scrolled. :'(

Let's not forget that we design to manufacture.

Onshape was born to free us from the torture of file management.
    I can't wait for OnShape to take over the world ... <3
  • afalzate13afalzate13 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    This should've been a priority in the development during this recent merger. Onshape can't compete with high end CAD software with large CAD companies. Onshape is tailored for the start ups which often fabricate their designs and have an edge in being able to iterate quickly in the seamless Onshape environment and not be forced to work in another program to do the manufacturing and lose time to bounce back and forth and lose the collaborative parallel working component in CAM. With the newfound access to large resources during the acquisition this should have been implemented. After using Onshape since it's inception I'm sad to leave after years of waiting for this feature. Paying an additional $100/month for a sub par add on 3rd party CAM is unacceptable. The unorthodox pricing structure of Onshape and lack of this feature will lose another loyal customer to Fusion 360...
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    I do not know if this is still in the works, but there is a possibility @eric_schimelpfenig may integrate Fabber into Onshape. By integrate, I mean very integrated; similar to "Open BOM". This would be fantastic!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
    If there's enough interest we're definitely looking at bring this:

www.getfabber.com to Onshape. We're big fans on Onshape as a modeler. 

VisualCAM C has been removed from the Onshape app store. Those that tried it, what did you think of it while it was there?
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO

VisualCAM C has been removed from the Onshape app store. Those that tried it, what did you think of it while it was there?
    I tried it. IIRC they never had everything running in OS. I think there was too much legacy code to port to the cloud. This would even be worse for Mastercam.
  • Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    There was a bit of a CAM teaser in this, in case you missed it: https://events1.social27.com/onshapelive21/agenda/player/92513 
    And we love us some Fabber! @eric_schimelpfenig Please? 
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    There was a bit of a CAM teaser in this, in case you missed it: https://events1.social27.com/onshapelive21/agenda/player/92513 
    And we love us some Fabber! @eric_schimelpfenig Please? 
    Is Solidworks CAM the same as CAMworks? I thought they were owned by Dassault.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @Aaron_Magnin
    that link just took me to the general conference agenda.  What video presentation at what time in it?
    www.accuratepattern.com
    @Aaron_Magnin
    that link just took me to the general conference agenda.  What video presentation at what time in it?
    sign in then come back and click on it. 

Session: 

FEA, Rendering, CAM, ECAD, and More: Expand Your Team’s Capabilities With Onshape’s Integrated
    @bruce_williams What Bill said! Thanks for the assist. 
    Got this from Autodesk this morning.

Effective April 6, 2021, Autodesk will no longer support future releases of HSMXpress and new downloads will no longer be available.

If you’re already downloaded the HSMXpress plugin for SOLIDWORKS, you’ll be able to access it via your Autodesk Account. Note this version will only be compatible with your current version of SOLIDWORKS. It will not be compatible with SOLIDWORKS 2022.

If you’d like to maintain access to similar supported software, please download Fusion 360 for personal use here to get access to:
    • 2 & 3-axis milling
    • Adaptive clearing
    • Turning
    • FFF additive manufacturing
    • Water jet, laser cutter, plasma cutter
    It sounds like no more gateway CAM unless you use their CAD.
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    I fully agree with @afalzate13. It would be incredibly helpful if Onshape had a proper CAM solution on par with Fusion 360. I waste a lot of time bouncing back and forth between Fusion 360 for CAM and Onshape for CAD, and I have been tempted to abandon Onshape because of this. PTC should allocate the resources to get CAM functionality in Onshape.
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    edited April 2021
  • ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO

Hi Eric,
    VisualCAM is still on the Onshape app store a I was able to download their Onshape plugin. Am I wasting my time trying to get VisualCAM to integrate with Onshape?

I desperately need CAM solution for Onshape.

Thanks,

Hi Eric,
    VisualCAM is still on the Onshape app store a I was able to download their Onshape plugin. Am I wasting my time trying to get VisualCAM to integrate with Onshape?

I desperately need CAM solution for Onshape.

Thanks,
    I go OS to SW/HSMworks. Far from ideal and you need three licenses. You can swap out for model changes by changing the parasolid model.

Check out Cloudmilling. It looks like a good idea, but was not ready for prime time when I tried it. Then I got busy...

OS does not seem to have much interest in CAM.

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I use SprutCAM with Onshape models for CAM, usually with a STEP export of the model, though there is a SprutCAM-Onshape connector available.

SprutCAM has a US distributor, but the last I saw, US sales of SprutCAM had been suspended because of the Russia-Ukraine situation.  SprutCAM is located in Russia, I believe.

edited May 2022
    A couple things to add...
    -I believe SprutCAM is located in Cyprus (or at least this is according to Wikipedia). It appears you can purchase licenses still, but I will double check this! 
    -OS is most definitely interested in providing a CAM solution. It would be more true to suggest that the average CAM providers are not making the leap to the cloud, or they're making the transition slower than CAD. However, new solutions like CloudMilling are making amazing strides on this front, but you can also use an on premise -or hybrid- solutions with Onshape today.   
    -VisualCAMc was the cloud version of VisualCAM. VisualCAMc has gone away, but you can still use VisualCAM with Onshape. See here for more details: https://mecsoft.com/cad-export/ Or here: https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/CAM/CWYJPRAPBPCDD5Q65CRGUM7MEUONHN5HBRCIDTI=/description 

Hope that helps! 
    -I believe SprutCAM is located in Cyprus (or at least this is according to Wikipedia). It appears you can purchase licenses still, but I will double check this! 
    -OS is most definitely interested in providing a CAM solution. It would be more true to suggest that the average CAM providers are not making the leap to the cloud, or they're making the transition slower than CAD. However, new solutions like CloudMilling are making amazing strides on this front, but you can also use an on premise -or hybrid- solutions with Onshape today.   
    -VisualCAMc was the cloud version of VisualCAM. VisualCAMc has gone away, but you can still use VisualCAM with Onshape. See here for more details: https://mecsoft.com/cad-export/ Or here: https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/CAM/CWYJPRAPBPCDD5Q65CRGUM7MEUONHN5HBRCIDTI=/description 

Hope that helps! 
    Any thoughts of baking it into OS? For instance, holes are structured in OS. You know the tap drill, tap drill depth, tap, pitch, tap depth, location. Then it goes to translation and into some CAM and click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click....
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

SprutCAM may have moved their headquarters to Cyprus but could still be largely a Russian organization.  That Wikipedia entry was news to me.  All of my previous correspondence seemed to originate from Russia though it's hard to know where anyone in the Internet is these days.  I'll be interested to haer what you can find out.  The product offers a lot of features for a fairly low price.

SprutCAM may still be available for sale in some parts of the world, but the US distributor has paused sales as stated here:

https://sprutcamamerica.com/

Too bad, as the product has improved a lot since I first started using it back around 2006.

On edit:  Looks like they have an office in Germany, too, now.
    Thats good for us to know. Thanks @michael3424
    Fecking Awesome!
    How do we try it?
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    @bill_schnoebelen

I don't know if this is still available, but the Cloudmilling website has an "apply for beta" button which leads to a Google form which mentions Onshape.
    When we have an EVP for it, you'll be the first to know. 
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Cant wait....roll on 2023!!