Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Introducing Onshape to External Collaborators

Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
Introducing Onshape to others can be challenging. Especially for external collaborators and vendors. Change is hard!

What has worked for you?
We've encountered some responses along the lines of
1. We don't want to break it (delete something... not an issue)
2. This is unfamiliar, it will take too long to learn, I'd better not try it.

I've loved the book Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
Also this summary - https://agileleanlife.com/switch-how-to-implement-change/

Was wondering what is working for others out there?

@Evan_Reese you made a great youtube intro...
Tagged:

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Here's the video which is a 6.5 minute overview on tools and navigation for people who don't use Onshape regularly (and may not even use CAD regularly). It covers how people with view-only access can use:
    • basic navigation
    • exploded views
    • section views
    • Bill of Materials
    • the measure tool
    • draft analysis
    • mass properties
    It's mostly about the "how" and not the more emotional "why" parts that the article above is talking about. I'd love to hear strategies on that part. We've had some clients who love having access to an assembly, and check it all the time for updates, and we've had others who are always asking us for things they could check themselves, because the value or purpose of a shared Onshape document never clicked for them. I can't blame them either. It's daunting to have to learn a new software when all you want to do is check some measurements real quick.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited March 2021
    @john_mcclary :D 
    Not exactly dragging them kicking and screaming... but dragging them gently. It's very subtle and very clever.

Showing a clear path forward certainly helps! Great tips.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Theo_R said:
    @john_mcclary :D 
    Not exactly dragging them kicking and screaming... but dragging them gently. It's very subtle and very clever.

Showing a clear path forward certainly helps! Great tips.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    One issue I've run into with external users is not understanding permissions. I sent some stuff to one vendor, and they created a new document (which was public because they had a free account) to send some updated models that had changes made outside of onshape. 

@john_mcclary
    we need more of this kind of everyday heroism.
    One issue I've run into with external users is not understanding permissions. I sent some stuff to one vendor, and they created a new document (which was public because they had a free account) to send some updated models that had changes made outside of onshape. 

oh bummer! couldn't you prevent them from being able to copy it in the first place?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I was having them make some changes with a lattice design tool. So, I needed them to download and then re-upload. 

I was pretty new to onshape myself, so I didn't think to emphasize the need to re-upload to the same document. Live and learn!