Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to use the same sketch in two different lofts

ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi All,
I'm a very amateur hobby user of Onshape. I use it mostly to draw plans for model aircraft then visualise them in 3d, thereby (hopefully) finding my mistakes.
I have a situation where I want to create two lofts, one going "down" (i.e. negative Z direction) and the other "up" (postitive Z) using the same sketch item (in the XY plane) as in the diagram below, but one of them needs to be using Shape  A and the other Shape B. I haven't been able to discover how to do this. I tried extruding the shape by 1mm, but I couldn't get the loft function to recognise the face of an extrude. I tried creating an offset surface also at 1mm, but similarly I couldn't get the loft to recognise the surface. The only thing I have been able to think of is to create another plane 1mm (or less) away from the original plane and create a whole new sketch on it. Seems like a very kludgy solution to me, and I'm sure Onshape has a better way. I just don't know what it is.

Thanks,
Ian

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    It looks like the profiles your trying to loft are not closed geometries. 

If you share a link to your document, I will be able to help find the problem.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @ian_harris952, what are you lofting TO?  Typically a loft includes two or more profiles.

• ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thank you for replying. I RTFMed and I think I have now solved the problem. By clicking on Shape A that's all I got, but it's possible to expand (click the ">") the selection, which makes it possible to add more parts of the profile to the selection. I'm not explaining it very well but the instructions (when I finally read them properly...) make it pretty clear.

Thanks again for your support.
    Ian