Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

trying to control the curvature of loft

MH9MH9 Member Posts: 6 PRO
Hi, I'm trying to control the curvature between two curves. I'm using a sketch in between for guide but it is not working out for me. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If I mouse over the failing loft feature, I see this error message

that means that the guide isn't exactly on the loft profile curve, even though it looks like it. Sometimes it could even be due to the tolerance limits of the CAD system (it's not infinitely precise). To fix it, make sure to use the "pierce" constraint in the sketch between the curve end points and the loft profiles. That fixes it.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    @h_d240 Can you please share your document as public and post the link here. 
    I wonder if your issue with the loft may be that the curves don't meet at the back, which also makes me wonder if the curves actually intersect other places too, or if they just look close. Check for a pierce constraint at each end in your guide curve sketch. Here's my hack at something similar real quick. I used Freeform Spline for the guides to test it out, but sketches could work just as well for the cross sections.

• MH9MH9 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    @Evan_Reese thanks a lot, it was super helpful but as I'm not expert, I'm unable to define the curve at heel section. I'm attaching public doc. Thanks in advance.
    ghg | Part Studio 3 (onshape.com)
    Answer ✓
    If I mouse over the failing loft feature, I see this error message

that means that the guide isn't exactly on the loft profile curve, even though it looks like it. Sometimes it could even be due to the tolerance limits of the CAD system (it's not infinitely precise). To fix it, make sure to use the "pierce" constraint in the sketch between the curve end points and the loft profiles. That fixes it.

• MH9MH9 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    thanks a lot @Evan_Reese