Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface Pro 7 - touch screen

blake_boysenblake_boysen Member Posts: 2
Hello,  when I Google I find that back in 2015 onshape needed a mouse of you were using a OS like windows for the surface pro.  But saw it worked for on Apple products like the iPad pro. I'm curious to a if this was ever updated or can you still not use the touch screen on a surface pro with onshape. 

Looking to get a surface pro other wise I'd test myself. 

Comments

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Every time this comes up, I have to voice my support. I have a 2-in-1 laptop with a touch screen. All I can do with touch or stylus is click on things. 

The word from Onshape is that there is some technical difficulty with capturing touch inputs within a browser, which is why you can use the apply pencil in the iPad app, but can't use touch/stylus in the web app. 

I can kind of understand that, but would like to get more clarification, myself. I know I can pan/zoom/rotate things while using other in-browser 2D and 3D viewers, so it seems like it shouldn't be impossible. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Remember the difference between an ipad and a surface is, the ipad is a mobile device that only uses mobile apps. Incuding the web browser. Because mobile browsers aren't built for mouse input (and other reasons) Onshape needed a work around for mobile. That's why there is an app for ios and android. 

Surface is a full computer with desktop applications. So there's no app for surface to take advantage of touch. Because you have a full version browser that can handle mouse input. So there is 'no need' "technically"

Right now they keep the ios app pretty up to date, but the android app is behind. If they had to split resources to startup a windows store app too, then i'm sure it would be even more behind.

Your best bet is to get an ipad if you want to have a mobile touch experience. 
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Last week I set up with a Surface Pro 7. The pen and touch is not compatible with Onshape, however, if you are only viewing and measuring models, here is a fix that kind of works:

To get gesture controls to work here is the best fix I have found:
    • Download the android emulator Bluestacks 
    • Sign in to the app store and download Onshape
    • Add an Onshape app shortcut to your desktop

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    ed_ved_v Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I'm going to bump this just because.  

I can't believe it's 5 years later and they STILL haven't implemented it.  They have an app for iOS and Android.... why not just package it for the Windows Store as well?  Then it has full native support for the touch device and they can't make crap claims about it being a browser issue.

This is THE MAIN reason I stopped using onshape even though I love it.  Without a proper application or someone willing to develop the web tech interface, I will never give them money.  Even with all the bad reviews I'm tempted to try the Solidworks Maker just because I've heard you can get the touch working.
  • Options
    michael_piantedosimichael_piantedosi Member Posts: 2
    2024 and i want to switch from shapr3d. i dont think shapr works as well as onshape could but i cant use my surface pro 9 for onshape. i love 3d design with a touch pen and screen. maybe they will figure it out someday