Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Organic Part Design

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited April 2021 in General
Friday evening April 9th, on top of Palomar Mountain in Southern California.

A new rev 2 tail piece was added to my BMW tightening up small gaps, a new BMW emblem
and a better tail piece paint job.

This tail piece is a nice extension for those interested streamlining the looks of an R9T.
I'm not crazy about ribbon LED strips and their lack of brightness; this makes visibility less during a sunny day.
I'd rather improve the design creating a rev 3 part and adding brighter lamps.

3D print from nylon with 4mm thickness making it an extremely strong part. The integrated
LED light strip is secure and water tight making it safe to ride when caught in the rain. The fit and
finish makes it an easy bolt-on extension to a motorcycle giving a flat track racer look.

video about setting up for organic designs

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Nice clean work! I like the video too.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Thanks Evan

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    VERY nice Billy. Appreciate the video as well.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Thanks Larry
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    so how do you get your meshes? do you own some big scanner or what?
    I always see you modeling against a mesh of your bike.
    John, 8 years ago I bought a structure attachment for my Ipad and have been using it ever since; $300. I'm not sure it's on the market any more. It's resolution could be better and I'm looking to upgrade to something better. I don't want to spend $10k, since I don't have a business any more and can't write it off. I have heard about some guys buying sensors and hooking them up to a PI. They hang out at scan.org. I'm going to check them out soon when I get some more time. I'm hoping they've come up with something cool and all it needs is some mechanical packaging. Mechanical packaging? how'u do that? Maybe I'll start a series on designing a scanner housing using scans; that'd be a fun convoluted project.

Do you guys use scans? You could scan a room and have a good idea of attachment points and obstacles to avoid. I'm using them a lot in my designs these days. Scanning is actually one of the fun parts of a job.

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @billy2
    I believe the new iPhones 12 Pro Max has a built in Lidar sensor that can be used for 3D scans:
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/02/how-to-use-the-lidar-scanner-in-iphone-12-pro
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    that's cool.

No, we don't scan at all. I go out with a tape measure, calipers, a pen, paper, and patience.
    I don't know how much I would trust a scan for most of what we do. But it is something I always wanted to play around with. It's good to know it isn't crazy expensive and can be hand held. I thought you had a room setup with a rotating scanner. Kind of like the dentist xray :)
    edited April 2021
    Tim, yeap, I've been waiting for the new Ipad pro with 5G built in. Have you seen the resolution specs? Everything I've seen has been scanning a room or scanning an orchard of trees which isn't going to cut it. I'm looking to scan the head of a bolt. Currently, in my scans, it's a blob and you can't see the hex shape. 

Do you have one? If you do please send me a scan of your bike. If you're 2 wheel handicapped, open the hood of your car and scan your engine. I think you have my email.

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Nope, I dont have one. Just seen some videos on YouTube. I believe it is accurate in the mm range.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    edited April 2021
    That's probably a little better than what I currently have but not enough to scan the head of a bolt. I think what I want is a variable scan that can size the mesh based on geometry. I think I need to look into the openscan.

Does any one know if variable scan is something real?

edited April 2021
    Have you guys seen this? It's in the public domain.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1cc8ad70c734418f95c50c40/w/0878ec39fd0cede5bf1a2b1c/e/ee363f7f40ea6b8d0c981a62

With this data set, you could easily design a body kit, production tooling & go into business making body parts for mustangs.

Nice