Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

UV Unwrap for exported OBJ?

Adam_BruceAdam_Bruce Member Posts: 2
We are prototyping in Unity, but when we export a file from OnShape, all we are getting is the OBJ and a MTL file (the MTL file doesn't appear to be  recognized by Unity, Substance or Maya). The OBJ geometry is coming across but there are no UV maps.

- Is there a way to get a UV unwrap texture map from an OnShape object? (i.e. UV unwrap, etc)

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I don't think there's a great way in Onshape. That's not really what it's for. The only control you have is in how you produce the objects. I find that controlling it in Onshape often looks like using the Fit Spline or Unified Spline command on edge chains to make them into a single clean spline, which can be made into a single clean surface with one set of UVs. I use my Face Curves tool to see the UV structure of the parts. This can work in some cases, but or any complex UV mapping, you'll have to use another tool. I use Rhino for UV unwrapping, when I really need to, but other software can do it too.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl