Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

ADDING MANY ROWS TO CONFIGURED PROPERTIES TABLE BY PASTING IN DATA

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
@lougallo
I found this implemented improvement request.  

ADD MULTIPLE ROWS TO CONFIGURED PART PROPERTIES

How does this work because when I paste in data from google sheets, it lays in the data that fits in the rows that exist but shows an message about the other data not get pasted in.  It is not adding more rows as needed.

Answers

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @shawn_crocker
    Onshape doesn't currently create more rows in your example.

When pasting data back into a Configuration table, you must make sure that there are enough rows and columns to accept the pasted data.
    Otherwise, Onshape throws the error, telling you it can't paste the data, because the cells don't exist.

Note also, that then pasting data back in, you want to select all of your data except the header row. Don't change the column order or add (or remove) columns when working with the data in your spreadsheet program, since Onshape will not recognize new or re-arranged columns.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Works fine for me - the number of columns must be the same, then you must select the left most cell of a row that already exists and press Ctrl+V. You cannot paste into an empty row.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @romeograham
    Thanks for responding.  My experience is consistent with yours.  If data being pasted has more rows than are already in the configured properties table, the message in the picture gets shown.  Onshape is not just adding the extra rows.  In my case, I would like to add 1000 plus rows to this table and clicking on the add new row button will take all day.  Especially once the rows reach the bottom of the screen as is seems each extra row takes onshape one or two seconds to process before you can click the button again.  @NeilCooke I always feel a little in awe of getting to speak with  the master of the beams feature. Haha!  But seriously, The behavior you have described does work for me when pasting data into a configuration list but not in the configured properties table.  I would have just created an improvement request.  But, it seems the sited implemented improvement request in my original question seems to clearly be talking about the configured properties table, I'm wondering what should be my next action?

• Options
    michael_hudzikmichael_hudzik Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I just ran into the same issue as @shawn_crocker. I have a configuration with 2,640 rows and I want to add a unique description to each row. I also do not want to have to click the + button this many times. 

@NeilCooke, I suggest having the ability to build smart strings in the metadata fields based on the configuration options somehow.

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    I just checked this and it seems to work for me. The important bit of Neil's original post was "...You cannot paste into an empty row."

Also - make sure you don't try to paste into the Configuration Name column ( the first column).

Export the table once you've created all the columns you want, make your edits in your Spreadsheet of choice. Then, copy all the content except the first Row and the first column:

Then you paste into the R2C2 cell (the top leftmost cell that is NOT your titles or configuration names:

Seems to work nicely for me.

I still got the error message "Failed to paste data in a cell: Data to be pasted has too many rows to fit in the table and will be truncated. " But a quick check and the last row was correctly pasted.

@NeilCooke is it possible that the error message is, in fact, an error?

• Options
    @Mike_Hudzik Here is a solution I have found.  It is an auto mouse clicker.  If you add enough rows to fill the page, you can set the clicker to click at 1 ms intervals the amount of rows you need.  Bit of a hack but it is way better then manually clicking in hundred of row is you need them. Its called op mouse click, free on the ms store.