Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Place Custom tables from Part Studio to Drawings (same as BOM tables)

tiago_damasiotiago_damasio Member, Channel partner Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Drawings
Would be good to be able to place Custom tables from Part Studiosinto Drawings the same way you can place BOM Tables from assemblies into drawings

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    I don't know why I'd just assumed this was already how it worked. I agree that this would be really valuable in certain situations. A quick search turned up this existing improvement request, which I just voted for. Please vote for it also.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15421/custom-tables-in-drawings
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    The best workaround I've found is to copy the custom table to excel.

Format so it looks ok, use the snip tool to capture as image, import to the document and then insert into the drawings as an image.

Not great but not the worst, you can use excel to format and sort, and you shouldn't be manually updating just the drawing table if the data is from a custom table so it being a static image is manageable (if not ideal).

If the custom table updates, repeating the process takes only a few moments and you can 'Update...' the existing image tab in the document with the new snip to keep a clean history, then insert again to the drawing.

I see pointing our production team at an Onshape document with data in different tabs rather than a traditional single drawing, part of the future, think of each document tab as a drg sheet (1 for Rev Table, 1 for BOM, 1 for Notes, 1 for inspection dims, 1 for cut tables etc. (some drgs, some PDF's, some Images with the Version/Release handling the overall config control)

The Onshape Drawings and current Drawing Tables are not good enough or evolving fast enough for them to be the main communication tool like a traditional Solidworks Drawing is for example.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    I also feel like Onshape is attempting to signal that drawings were great in the days when paper was the only way to communicate a design. Skipping the printed drawing I think will be more doable when Onshape comes up with a solid way to annotate assemblies and parts directly. If some one would develop a foldable paper thin tablet computer that would also help
  • Options
    robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 27 PRO
    We need this to use the beams feature fully to have cutlist on the drawings? Or am I missing a workflow that allows us to import custom tables?
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Naa this cant be the way... I dont like the way that you have to import an image to it... in the best case I want to change some values in the imported table.

Are there any updates since October 2021?
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter