Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Escape button alternative for fullscreen use?

creyccreyc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I would like to use Onshape in fullscreen mode to save some screen space on my small laptop, but it seems like every modern browser I've tried exits full screen as soon as escape is pressed. This makes sense for 99.9% of all normal browser usage, although years of working with CAD programs makes hitting the escape key a bit of a habit!

I guess the question is twofold;
  • Is there an easy way to prevent chrome or safari or firefox from exiting fullscreen with the escape key?
  • Is there an alternate keystroke Onshape can use to cancel a command or sketch? The spacebar looked promising at first, but it really only unselects things.
Thanks!

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @creyc

I do not have direct answer, as in my Chrome, F11 is the only toggle for full screen and escape functions in Onshape.

HOWEVER:

You will probably like running Onshape as a desktop app better than in the standard browser.  Below are instructions for Chrome.  It is nice the window does not show all the browser rows even when not in full screen.

How to – Running a website as desktop app
    1. Navigate to the website you want to convert to a desktop application.
    2. Click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose More tools > Add to desktop.
    3. Enter the name for the shortcut. ...
    4. After doing that, locate the newly created shortcut on your desktop and double click it.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • creyccreyc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Thanks bruce, this seems like a good compromise.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I'm on an M1 MacBook Air. I use Safari for everything, except Onshape. It doesn't show sections properly in Safari. Anyway, I use the escape key all the time inside sketches to cancel the tool, and it never messes with my window settings. I just tried again to be sure:

If I'm in Firefox, full screen, hitting escape does nothing to the browser window, whether inside or outside of a feature.

If I'm in Safari, full screen, hitting escape both inside and outside of a feature changes the browser window to standard mode.

Can you try Firefox again? If you can't duplicate what I'm seeing, I can see if there is something in my settings somewhere. But I'm pretty sure my browser settings are stock.
  • creyccreyc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I'm on an M1 MacBook Air. I use Safari for everything, except Onshape. It doesn't show sections properly in Safari. Anyway, I use the escape key all the time inside sketches to cancel the tool, and it never messes with my window settings. I just tried again to be sure:

If I'm in Firefox, full screen, hitting escape does nothing to the browser window, whether inside or outside of a feature.

If I'm in Safari, full screen, hitting escape both inside and outside of a feature changes the browser window to standard mode.

Can you try Firefox again? If you can't duplicate what I'm seeing, I can see if there is something in my settings somewhere. But I'm pretty sure my browser settings are stock.
    I updated Firefox (well uninstalled and reinstalled new) and it now works perfectly! Thanks so much Nick