Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

A design contest again...

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in General
The contest as usual is to design this part with the least number of features:

Rules:
- Precision 0.1 mm
- The Part is symmetrical

Bonus:
- Create this drawing with only 1 view (plus isometric views)

The best answers will be marked as accepted answers ;-)

Good luck  
Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Best Answers

Answers

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't open your document... and, No.. FeatureScript and derive feature are not allowed  :D
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Best I could do was 5 features - that "chamfer" is tricky
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    @BenTaylor Yes, I know  :disappointed:
    I did it in 5 features too.
    Please, share your document if you want to win the contest
    Un saludo,

edited April 2021
    Un saludo,

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    wow!  nicely played @jon_sorrells

follow up question for group - how would this be manufactured? Being a patternmaker, I see a sand or investment casting.  Course the material is not spec'ed. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    Holy macaroni @tim_hess427!  That pasta machine is fabulous.  But how do we chamfer the ends of each noodle?  And how do they keep the noodles from sticking to each other????  Magic.
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    If the goal is to create part geometry that will reproduce the supplied drawing then only 3 features are necessary.

A simple equal distance chamfer gets the job done.

If a "perfect" 2 mm x 2 mm chamfer is required all around the edges of the "pasta tube" then lofting will be required. Fortunately, the pasta I consume has no such requirement.

@StephenG you forgot about the height (dimension of 38mm).
    That is why a simple chamfer is not used
    Un saludo,

Opps. Had to add an additional feature to get the 38 dimension. 

Needed 4 features to recreate your drawing.

This was more of a design/drafting puzzle than a design modeling contest. Note: Still used a simple chamfer feature.
    @emagdalenaC2i , when the dust settles I hope that you will share your secret to "Create this drawing with only 1 view (plus isometric views)".  I created a named section view in the Part Studio, but apparently these can't be inserted into drawings yet.

So how did you create a section view in the drawing without first placing a parent view to derive it from?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Un saludo,

@emagdalenaC2i, thanks for the lesson on Broken-Out-Section-View.  That's a handy tool.
    High precision pasta. Cooked up via lofting.

(Of course the feature count went way up: replaced a simple single chamfer feature with 2 additional sketches, a loft, and 2 mirror features.

Comments:
    Provided contest drawing is ambiguous. The 15 and 22,3 dimensions are linear dimensions, therefore the shape of rotated profile(s) are not truly known. The included shaded ISO views gives the impression the profile(s) are simple circles, but ellipses with slightly different major and minor diameters of could have been used to produce an equivalent "section view".    

One of the rules state "The Part is symmetrical". But symmetrical with or about what? 

The 2 mm dimensions are open for interpretation relative to what happens around the edge. Think a simple note with a leader is a better way to communicate what is needed.

Clever use of the "Broken-out section" function to create what appears to be a section view, but without a parent view and associated section cut line it is not a true section view. However, it was never said it was a section view, so I was fooled. However, you still used another view to set the cut depth, that makes 2 views are required. It is possible to define the cut depth using "blind" option with a keyed in value; that would make the drawing possible with only 1 view. It is also possible to create a drawing sheet showing just a true section view and not its parent, by moving the parent view to another sheet.

Interesting puzzle to work on and I learned some things.   

Confession:
    Loft is not a perfect 2x2 all around (only used 3 profiles in the loft). Section cut at 90 degrees (Section B-B) looks very close. but at +-45 degrees (Sections C-C and D-D) things kind of wander a little. I am sure this can be improved with additional section profiles and possibly guide curves.