Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I insert dimensions in a pyramid correctly?

frank_ringfrank_ring Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hello,

I am trying to make a simple example drawing with this part (plywood, 18 mm) which has a slope on the pyramid of 15°.
How can I correctly measure the plane A with the cutting plane B in this drawing? Essential for manufacturing. In reality this is not 90°!
Thanks for your help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You're seeing inaccurate measurements in your drawings because you're parts are not aligned with the default views (Top, Left, Front, etc...).  What you can do is go back to the part studio and create "named views" where each part is aligned appropriately for your drawing. You should only need one per part.

Then, you can insert these named views into your drawing and create projected views from them. 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi @frank_ring

try normal (shortcut  key ‘n’). After selecting surface.  Or for more control add a mate connector and normal to the mate connector.   With the creation options including move/rotation allows precise orientation of mate connectors.  They act as extra coordinate systems.
    www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You're seeing inaccurate measurements in your drawings because you're parts are not aligned with the default views (Top, Left, Front, etc...).  What you can do is go back to the part studio and create "named views" where each part is aligned appropriately for your drawing. You should only need one per part.

Then, you can insert these named views into your drawing and create projected views from them. 
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @frank_ring, you might also explore "auxiliary views".  That can be created directly in the drawing.
  • Options
    Thank you for your feedback,
    the Named views work well, only the alignment in the Part Studio is not possible precisely, in my case a horizontal alignment of the 15° angled plate.
    Is there a way to set the view exactly to one surface?
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi @frank_ring

try normal (shortcut  key ‘n’). After selecting surface.  Or for more control add a mate connector and normal to the mate connector.   With the creation options including move/rotation allows precise orientation of mate connectors.  They act as extra coordinate systems.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Ok, thank you very much! That was helpful, now it works.
    In the meantime I found this useful instructions.

https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/tech-tip-using-named-views