Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Favorite FeatureScripts - User Group Meeting Idea

richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
During open discussion at last nights "Highlights" meeting (https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/highlights), @bruce_williams suggested a great idea for a future Onshape User Group meeting;

"Your Favorite FeatureScript Demonstrated and Explained"

If you have authored a FeatureScript that you are quite proud of and would like to do a short (3-5 min) presentation at an online meeting to briefly discuss why you created it and how you use it, please let us know. 

If you have a favorite FeatureScript that you use regularly but did not write, let us know and we'll ask the author about presenting or granting permission for you to present (if you're willing).

We might even be able to have a fun little contest.

There's no firm date yet for such a meeting, we'll see what kind of response we get and give plenty of time to prepare.

Richard

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    Great idea @bruce_williams!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I have 3 I use in every design.

FS: Stock Size | stockSize.fs (onshape.com)
    Stock SIze @MBartlett21 helped (basically re-wrote the whole thing to be automaigk) 
    Takes a part and measures it's size based on profile or flat pattern (in case of sheetmetal) and saves the result in a custom property for manufacturing drawings.

FS: Part Properties | Set Material (onshape.com)
    Set Material
    Takes a part and sets a material, calculates the weight and stores both material name and weight into part properties for manufacturing drawings.

FS:Sheet Metal Bend Table | SheetMetal Bend Table (onshape.com)
    Bend Table
    simple bend table for creating sheet-metal parts.
    sets the thickness and bend radius to a variable so a partstudio can update all sheet metal parts quickly with the proper bend radius
    also can be imported into other featurescripts like global variable imports so all your featurescripts can have a common bend table for the company.
    example:
    var myName = SM_Table[7].Name;
    var myThickness = SM_Table[7].Size;
    var myRadius = SM_Table[7].Bend;

result:
    myName : 7ga
    myThickness : .1793 in
    myRadius: .262 in

Also because it is in the design tree, you can drag and drop/suppress these to quickly modify multiple SM parts without editing a feature.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I'm in. hit me up.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I'd love to attend something like this!

There are too many good custom features, we are going to have to do this more than once!

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    @romeograham
    you should present some of your faves even if you didn't author them. I know you're a collector  :D

@MichaelPascoe
    I hope you'll tour some of your own, and maybe other favorites too.
    @Evan_Reese I'm down.

not sure if @konstantin_shiriazdanov has any interest, but I've love to watch that presentation. Either way some of those features should demonstrated.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese I would prefere if someone with a better English made a presentation of feature he likes. I could help with description and use cases.
    @Evan_Reese I would prefere if someone with a better English made a presentation of feature he likes. I could help with description and use cases.
    Fair point. I find myself using your Measure Value and Transform Pattern features constantly. I'd be happy to talk through those, or if there's one in particular you're proud of, let me know and I can do that.
    I use measure value every day. Thanks @konstantin_shiriazdanov

• richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    The meeting is scheduled, but I haven't received any responses from individuals willing to show their FeatureScript.

Thursday, May 27th, 6:00pm EDT - https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/professional

If you are interested in presenting, please either send an email to usergroups@onshape.com or reply here and I'll chase you down with a registration link.

Richard
    I thought I already did
    I thought I already did
    Wasn't 100% sure. I'll put you on the list.

Richard
    Sounds Good Thanks
    edited April 2021
    The meeting is scheduled, but I haven't received any responses from individuals willing to show their FeatureScript.
    From the above it seems like you have myself, @MichaelPascoe and @lemon1324 excited about presenting

Registered now. Didn't know that was there.

• lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Yes, I'm in, just registered.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Here are a few of my favorites and suggestions for presenting:

Calculate Bounds creates a bounding box of the chosen part(s). Has options for minimum size & orientation - @Jake_Rosenfeld (or I would be willing to present it)

Extrude Vertex 
    ExtrudeDir both of these are much more versatile than standard tool - author unknown by me  (or I would be willing to present them)

Boolean plus very cool swiss army knife of Booleans - @MBartlett21 (either Morgan or someone else should present; I use but not experienced with all of its power)

Mold Tools an amazing suite of four prototype tools (although they work really well as is) - @NeilCooke see Neil's webinar on the tools here.  This could easily be a full meeting if Neil would be willing to show some of the deeper secrets to these features. At the what is coming part of conference, it was announced Onshape is working on turning these into full features.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea !!!

Here are some of my favourite FeatureScripts:

FS Aluminium profiles: This FeatureScript allow to:
    - Create standard machining types for aluminum profiles
    - move faces (mainly to locate the covers for the profiles)
    - Create panels inside the structures with all its components
    - and create mate connectors to make the assemblies easily.
    It's in Spanish right now, but I could translate it.

I shared it at Onshape Live '21 but I think there are a lot of people that don't know it yet ;-)

FS Perfiles: It's based on the FeatureScript Beams by @NeilCooke
    Allows to create more easily the beams using groups. Each group of profiles can be located independently with their manipulators and the resulting beams of each group are trimmed by the beams of the previous groups.

I have not shared it yet, but I could do it during the presentation

Here you can see some images and a video https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10840/beams-or-weldment-profiles-workflow

FS Welds I co-created this one with @MBartlett21 See https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10720/new-featurescript-weld

I could present some of these or even create a small design (in less than 5 minutes) using these 3 FeatureScripts if you wish
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    @emagdalenaC2i
    I'd love to see it!

I'm thinking this meeting format could be stretched into 2 or 3 full user group meetings without repeating any features. 
    So far here are the scheduled presenters for May 27th:

John McClary, Evan Reese, Michael Pascoe, Arul Suresh, Bruce Williams, Eduardo Magdalena, and Romeo Graham.

I think we have room for two more presenters, so if you are interested, let me know.

Richard
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, could european presenters be the first ones??

The meeting is scheduled to start at 00:00 am here in Spain  :(
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    Please, could european presenters be the first ones??

The meeting is scheduled to start at 00:00 am here in Spain  :(
    Of course.

We'll try to schedule the next one at a more convenient time for Europe.

Richard
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Hi there,
    I was thinking I'd show the Project Body featurescript from @MBartlett21 - anyone else already presenting this one? Several of my favourites are made by people presenting to this meeting, so I don't need to worry about presenting them.

Let me know if someone else already had been thinking about this one.

Thanks!
    romeo

We're just two days away - https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/professional

We'll start the meeting 15 minutes early (5:45pm EDT) to allow for some introductions and networking. Not only do you get to see some great code, you'll get to meet some great people.

Richard
    edited May 2021
    Excellent meeting, there were some really cool features. It was great to meet some of the Onshape team up close.

@richard_doyle
    Do you have a list of all the features presented tonight?

Yes, best user group meet so far!