Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I create a part from a surface?

peter_patonpeter_paton Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
In the attached "bottom tray" I have sketched the completed item is showing as surfaces where I would normally see a part.  Is there a way to convert, or have I done something fundamentally wrong somewhere?  All other sketches/extrusions have ended up as parts which were able to be used in assemblies but not this one.  TIA  Peter

ISS NX418 Guards | Bottom Tray (onshape.com)

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I do not quite understand the design objective with this piece, you had a part until all the delete face commands, I would recommend using a different workflow to delete unwanted geometry or avoid creating it if possible. 
  • John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    @peter_paton Are you trying to remove this potion of the model?  

• peter_patonpeter_paton Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Thanks John, I did eventually get there through trial and error.  The main problem was that I was not forming a part that I could use in an assembly, rather two surfaces.  However, I found that I could use these surfaces to do what I needed.  In relation to your question, I was trying to form a backing plate with two side pieces and a floor.  I used the shell command but that left a number of unwanted surfaces - I did manage to delete them in the end.  As for other workflow, I am still at the early stages of getting to grips with CAD in general and approached this from the perspective of not knowing what workflow options exist....
    edited May 2021
    Wayne, I started with attepting to sketch the side pieces onto the backing plate face, but found difficulty in getting the floor to fit/dimension properly.  I tried again by sketching another rectangle on the face and using the shell command to leave the 2.5mm profile I wanted. This worked reasonably well but left a few elements that I had to then work out how to delete.

Having arrived eventually (if untidily) at a usable structure, I discovered it didn't form as a part that I could bring into an assembly studio to use there.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @peter_paton
    I realize this may not be what you are after, but I found a little time to create this part with a different workflow. Feel free to look through this and discard any ideas that are no help to you. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b293d18390dfb7468df8cf43/w/9d38c305a845ac6998d9d65d/e/d937bf0b3446332d4cd54762
    Hi Wayne, I was busy at work when your reply came in hence the late response.  I have had a chance to look at it today, it is in fact very helpful. I haven't really looked at the sheet metal feature but your example shows that I ought to do so.  Many thanks.