Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What are your top 10 most commonly used materials?

tristanpainetristanpaine Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3

We’re working on adding materials to Onshape and for our first pass at it we want to know what materials you use the most.

So, what are your 10 most commonly used materials? 

Tristan Paine UX/Product Definition Intern

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    abs
    nylon 6/10
    silicon rubber
    mic6
    pla

I don't have a 10th.

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tristanpaine in our case: 

1. Aluminum alloys 2024T3 / 6061T6 / 7075
    2. Steel & Steel Alloys
    3. Brass
    4. Carbon Fiber
    5. Titanium
    6. Copper and Copper Alloys 
    7. Nickel and Nickel Alloys 
    8. ABS
    9. Fiberglass
    Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    1. ABS
    2. PC-ABS
    3. POM
    4. Cold Rolled Steel
    5. Hot Rolled Steel
    6. Stainless Steel

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Mild Steel
    O1 or perhaps D2 (tool steel)
    8620 (case hardening steel)
    2025 (duplex SS)
    17/4PH (precipitation hardening SS)
    Aluminium Bronze
    Acetal
    Alu alloys 5000 and 6000 series

It would be good if the pre-allocated materials were generic insofar as properties, especially density, were concerned.
    To elaborate one example: I would rather see "mild steel" than a tighter designation which might apply only to barstock, or to structural steel, or to sheetmetal. But it would be nice to be able to edit the default material to a more specific spec, using the supplied properties as a jumping-off point, and save this alongside (without modification to) the default options.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @tristanpaine Could you elaborate on what you mean by materials? Are these for visual rendering? Structural analysis? Mass properties?
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited July 2015
    @nav I like your list. What are you working on? Aircraft? Racecars? 

(EDIT: don't know why I didn't see the tagline....got my answer.)
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @traveler_hauptman I work for the aerospace sector, we have 3 business units in two of them R+d and MRO (Maintenance Repair & Overhaul) we design and develop special tooling and GSE (Ground support equipment) for different types of aircraft, we also design / perform structural repairs, aircraft skin replacements and aircraft modifications. Also we had the opportunity to modify and assemble a german basic trainer aircraft we bought the rights to, the original drawings were all in Unigraphics NX 90`s. We created a full 3D model that helped us with the mods and manufacturing process.

Original Design was all analog instruments, we modified the avionics to full glass cockpit displays.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Are these going to be "generic" material names or "brand" names? I have run into that on 3D Hubs, not to mention language, "SpeELinG", measure units, and all. Here is what is in the arsenal.

ABS ESD7
    ABS M30
    ABS M30i
    ABSi
    PC ABS
    PC
    PC ISO
    PPSF
    ULTEM 9805
    Rubber Like Shore A 27 (FullCure 930)
    Rubber Like Shore A 60 (FullCure 970)
    Rigid Black (FullCure 870)
    Rigid White (FullCure 830)
    Material Line : FullCure®
    Rigid Clear (FullCure 720)
    Flexible PP-Like White (Fullcure430)
    Overmold Shore A 80 (DM_9110)
    Overmold Shore A 85 (DM_9120)
    Overmold Shore A 90 (DM_9130)

or just "Plastic" and "Resin"!

Oh, and "Metal"

17-4 Stainless Steel
    15-5 Stainless Steel
    316L Stainless Steel
    Aluminum
    Cobalt Chrome
    Inco 718
    Inco 625
    Maraging Steel MS1
    Titanium Ti6AI4V / ELI

I am having so much fun trying to guess what people are doing based on their materials list.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Aluminum 356 T6 Sand Cast
    Aluminum A380 Die Cast
    303 Stainless Bar
    17-4 Stainless Bar... PH conditions H1150, A, and H900
    416 HT Stainless Bar
    Steel Bar 1144 CD Stress Relieved
    Structural Steel A36
    Steel Bar ETD150
    Ductile Iron 80-55-06
    Ductile Iron 100-70-03

Shucks, is that 10 already... alright attached is the full list...  Enjoy!

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tristanpaine ,
    below material used frequently in our daily life,

Also see the material used list  attachment.

With warm regards,
    Virendrasingh Yadav
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    @tristanpaine Could you elaborate on what you mean by materials? Are these for visual rendering? Structural analysis? Mass properties?
    Mass properties to start with.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    edited July 2015
    For mass properties, I most often am entering the mass of the off-the-shelf component that is being approximated. Or rather cursing as I look up the current volume and back calculate the density.

Aluminum
    Steel
    Bronze
    Copper

I would probably not trust your densities for any composites or plastics unless they had references to a specific product line and manufacturer.

My internal materials lists have info on the source of the info as well as a 'checked by' field to differentiate quick and dirty entries from researched and vetted entries. Having similar fields (or a notes field) for custom materials would be important to me.
  • tristanpainetristanpaine Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    @traveler_hauptman as Jake said, right now we're starting with mass properties.

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    6061-T6
    360 Brass
    12L14 CRS
    316L SS
    Cast Iron
    Delrin/Acetal
    HDPE/UHMW
    PTFE
    CPVC
    1018 CRS
  • caroline_readcaroline_read Member Posts: 31
    ABS, PLA, 6061, Acrylics, PVC, steels, copper, not sure what else off hand

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @tristanpaine

10x Custom material with custom name and properties would a good start.

My top 10 materials:
    - MFC (melamine faced chipboard, density varies with thickness)
    - MDF (usually painted)
    - Abs, Pvc, other plastics
    - Aluminium
    - Steel
    - Zamac
    - Veneer
    - Massive woods

Definitely need possibility to set part/assembly mass properties according to real world piece when modeling something that already exists.
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2015
    Mild Steel GR250/350,
    Alloy Steel 4140, Bis, hardox
    Cast Steel
    Cast Iron
    Aluminium
    Rubber
    Poly Urethane
    Abs, Pvc, Nylon other plastics
    Glass
    Tungsen Carbide

Ability to spec a weight with an override, real world weight.

Ability to link to a standard company material listing. eg Spec the desired RHS steel tube from the company's list inside Onshape and properties auto propergate to the part.  This is what we do in SW https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/191/properties-material-properties-and-drawings

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • raino_paananenraino_paananen Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    A possibility to add a custom material would be a nice start and would give you plenty of time to make a comprehensive package of pre set materoals to release in one big bang. :) (Mine are something that will not make the cut for top ten :D balsa, lite ply etc.)

Raino
  • peter_franzenpeter_franzen Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2015
    6061 aluminum (sheet & plate) and high-quality Baltic birch plywood are my top 2.
  • jeff_kunklerjeff_kunkler Member Posts: 2
    Can Onshape elaborate on what is meant by "adding materials"? does this mean physical properties can be connected to the part as metadata for use in calculating weight, volume, centroids etc? will this also include a visual component? like drag and drop an appearance onto a part? Will the material show up in a Bill of Materials? If this is more about asking for what is wanted, then please add what I outline above, as long as all of the materials are customizable and more can be added by user or other 3rd party.

Thanks!

Jeff
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Aluminium;
    6061-T6
    6060-T5
    5052 H32
    5005 H34

Steel;
    316 SS
    304 SS
    AS/NZS 1594 HA250
    AS/NZS 1594 HA350

Plastics
    30% Glass Filled Nylon
    ABS
    PP
    UHMWPE
    HDPE
    LDPE
    Polycarbonate

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Can Onshape elaborate on what is meant by "adding materials"? does this mean physical properties can be connected to the part as metadata for use in calculating weight, volume, centroids etc? will this also include a visual component? like drag and drop an appearance onto a part? Will the material show up in a Bill of Materials? If this is more about asking for what is wanted, then please add what I outline above, as long as all of the materials are customizable and more can be added by user or other 3rd party.

Thanks!

Jeff
    As we are doing an iterative approach to features and functionality, most likely the first release will be attaching materials as part of metadata.  We will expand out the behaviors of adding material as time goes by.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    Any love for materials that aren't metal or plastic?  The facility I work at manufactures alumina (aluminum oxide) ceramic components and it would be nice to see that represented. We don't manufacture them, but we do also use zirconium oxide ceramics, synthetic ruby, and synthetic sapphire components in our assemblies.  If OnShape were to ever get simulation capability, it would be great to have those materials, as even Solidworks is very lacking in non metal and plastic materials out of the box.  Even having mass properties for those materials would be helpful.  Just my two cents, thanks.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I've used Macor for projects in the past, so I's like to see ceramics added, too.  Come to think of it elastomers for seals would also be nice to have.
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Stainless 304
    Half Hard Brass
    Aluminium
    Wood of various kinds
    ABS
    PLA

• mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    ABS
    ABS-PC
    Polycarbonate
    PC-Glass filled%
    6061 Aluminum
    Nylon
    Nylon-Glass Filled%
    Stainless Steel
    Rubber
    HDPE

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Onshape for a comprehensive list of materials released today.

I was initially a bit surprised that there were so many types of wood and so few types of carbon steel (26 vs 2), no medium or high tensile or tool steels at all (but three grades of Nickel, plus cupronickel and nickel silver !)

but there's something there to approximate most of the materials I use, which is as much as anyone can hope, and I do recognise that all carbon steels are effectively the same density, which can hardly be said for wood.
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Aluminum.  Specifically 6061 and 7000 series.
    Acetal/Delrin
    Brass
    303 stainless
    1010 steel
    4130 steel
  • tristanpainetristanpaine Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    @andrew_troup this is a first pass at materials, feel free to submit improvement requests for specific materials that you're missing.
This discussion has been closed.