Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Seeing the red

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
Anybody got any good tips for seeing the red failed features?

My eyes find it really hard to distinguish the light red to grey when trying to find failed features. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
Tagged:

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Nope, but I would really like Onshape to add the ability to filter the feature tree to only show features with errors. It wouldn't perfectly solve your issue, but it would help a lot I bet.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett
    Anybody got any good tips for seeing the red failed features?

My eyes find it really hard to distinguish the light red to grey when trying to find failed features. 
    I don’t know if what I have is a good idea. It might help you a LITTLE bit

I’ve got some different blue blocker reader glasses.

In the picture ——

the top ones block something like 93% of the blue light

The middle ones, I can’t remember. I think they block maybe 33% of the blue light

The bottom ones do not have any blue light blocking feature at all. They are just standard reader glasses

when I use the middle ones. The ones that have a slight slight yellow tint, they seem like they make the red look a little bit redder and slightly easier to see the red color

If I use the top ones, that block most of the blue light — they don’t seem to help me at all as far as seeing the red 

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nope, but I would really like Onshape to add the ability to filter the feature tree to only show features with errors. It wouldn't perfectly solve your issue, but it would help a lot I bet.
    Yes, that would help heaps. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Good Idea @steve_shubin. I'll ask my optometrists about this and see if I can get some screen glasses. 
  • james_bonneyjames_bonney Member Posts: 10
    Perhaps onshape could provide an additional visual cue.  The feature name text could change to be italicized or the feature icon could change to indicate that it is broken.
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    This is not necessarily a great solution as I also share the belief that there should be more accessibility options in Onshape but if you are using Chrome/Firefox there are several great extensions that can change the color scheme of websites. These are not always guaranteed to work, but I have had great success using a Chrome extension called Dark Reader, which has given me a fairly stable and clean dark theme for Onshape.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Maybe you can create a template in your monitor settings that you set to boost red or exaggerate contrast or something.
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    I realized in assemblies we get a nice little alert icon. Perhaps this could be integrated into part studio feature errors.
    Ex:
    I like this idea a lot.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Plus one. I'm colorblind and always have trouble with this. Coming from an old UX of using Creo the past 20 years to Onshape, is refreshing. However, when something was failed in Creo, it stuck out like a sore thumb. In Onshape, it sure is prettier to look at, but in an example like this, its hard to differentiate.

PS, over the years I've tried all the color filters built into the operating systems (Win and Mac), and also the "color correcting" glasses. None of them in my experience have been worth anything. I always end up at the default operating system color settings. 
    @jamescbonney Alert icons would really help. I never find it a problem in assemblies.

@nick_papageorge073 I think you're correct, none of the changes with colours or filter helps much, it needs to be in the icon shape.
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    If there's an IR I'd be happy to up arrow this one.
  • aholmesaholmes Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    edited June 2021
    This is not necessarily a great solution as I also share the belief that there should be more accessibility options in Onshape but if you are using Chrome/Firefox there are several great extensions that can change the color scheme of websites. These are not always guaranteed to work, but I have had great success using a Chrome extension called Dark Reader, which has given me a fairly stable and clean dark theme for Onshape.

Hey @chadstoltzfus , we are thinking about ways that Onshape can be more accessible over time. We realize the error indications here should be denoted by more than just color, but are there any other accessibility related issues that you were thinking about?

Andrew Holmes
    UX/Support Team
    edited June 2021
    aholmes said:

Hey @chadstoltzfus , we are thinking about ways that Onshape can be more accessible over time. We realize the error indications here should be denoted by more than just color, but are there any other accessibility related issues that you were thinking about?

Andrew Holmes
    UX/Support Team

I did a formal ticket for this item a couple weeks ago and it got added as a feature request, but it might also be applicable to what you are asking here: Add a setting to turn off pre-highlighting when you are moving your mouse around the screen. During a screen-share, or even discussing a design with a colleague standing next to you and both looking at the screen, I like to use the mouse as a pointer to focus attention to what we are talking about. The way it is now, it highlights whatever the mouse is near, and makes the conversation confusing to follow because the whole screen lights up. On Creo, you can change the selection filter to "annotations" (and there are almost never any), which means when you move the mouse around all you see is the design and the mouse pointer. If something like that could be added to onshape, it would make collaborating with others much easier. IMO:) Thanks.
    I wold like to add as a colorblind user, the sketcher colors are great. I always had trouble in Creo inside sketcher. But in Onshape its easy to see things.
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    aholmes said:

Andrew Holmes
    UX/Support Team
    Thanks for following up @aholmes . I think some more options for how the Onshape environment looks is always a good start. I know high contrast mode on windows doesn't seem to apply to the geometry in Part Studios(thought that could be on WebGL's end). I know this has also been brought up on the forums but for me personally looking at a white screen for the entirety of my day can be straining after a few hours (I live in Feature Studios and Part Studios almost exclusively). 

Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Cary_BettenhausenCary_Bettenhausen Member Posts: 36 PRO
    aholmes said:

Andrew Holmes
    UX/Support Team
    Andrew, I just now had a colleague with the same issue. He cannot see the red color of failed features in a Part Studio. Is there a fix in the works for this? Thanks!
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Partial solution only but you can now filter the tree: