Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy a "feature" on a part

BluchipBluchip Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Pretty much a green horn here. I tried searching for solution in previous discussions but have found nothing yet so I apologize if this has been plowed before.
I am working on a sheetmetal part. It has circular dimples at various locations that are not linear, circular, or symmetrically placed. I created one dimple using a sketch point and then used a combination of revolve adding and removing and then blends added. The central fastener hole was then added with the hole tool. There are quite a few of these dimples for this part.
Is there a way to simply "copy" the dimple to other sketch points?
Also, this dimple was created on a flat surface. This part has same dimples on a curved surface. Thoughts on how to project them to that curved surface? 

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Try to use this Transform pattern feature with feature pattern option selecting the whole set of features defining your element
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov makes legit features. I use Transform pattern all the time.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    BluchipBluchip Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    and

PERFECT! I was unaware of that tool. Loaded it and success. Thank you for the solution.
    Now comes the second part of my question:
    As shown below, I was able to transform the dimple features on faces that are flat. Now I need to put a similar dimple on the curved surface. It is not a constant radius it was created by a spline passing thru ordinates. So how would I "project" these dimple from a plane above this surface or ???

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have some method of defining locations of these dimples, and the preferred approach of patterning depends on the locating method - maybe simple curve feature pattern is ok, but maybe you need to locate each independently, or with respect to mating part.  It all depends on your design intent.