Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations of parts and quantity in BOM table

cameliacummingcameliacumming Member, Channel partner Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hi all,

I'm looking for a way that we could create configurations of a part which would be counted as the same part in a BOM table

For example - a bar that has a hole at one end in one configuration, and on the other configuration there is no hole. I'm allowed to give these the same part number/name/properties, and in terms of stock we would want to keep them as the same part, however if you place both in an assembly the BOM table will list them as 1x each part rather than counting them.

Is this possible?

TIA

Comments

• cameliacummingcameliacumming Member, Channel partner Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Unfortunately no.

But, In other software we had the ability to set the ENTIRE BOM to read all configurations as the same part, or read each as a unique part.
    but that ends up being useless as well. Because in cases like yours, we would only want this behavior on specific parts.

a more common example where I work: a bunch of the same air cylinders with different configurations of stroke scattered throughout an assembly

So I hope if Onshape allows configuration grouping they come up with a better solution.
    Might I suggest a checkbox on the part properties (just like exclude from BOM) that treats all configurations of this part as the same group of instances in BOM?
    that would give us a little more control over when this needs to happen. Not perfect, but maybe it gets people thinking towards a better solution.
    Thanks for your reply - had a feeling this may be the case. 
    It would be good to see this in Onshape one day, especially being able to pick and choose which items are counted.
  • John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    Might I suggest a checkbox on the part properties (just like exclude from BOM) that treats all configurations of this part as the same group of instances in BOM?
    that would give us a little more control over when this needs to happen. Not perfect, but maybe it gets people thinking towards a better solution.
    I ran in to a similar problem where I would like to see configurations of a subassembly to be treated in the BOM as the same item.
    In my case an attached cable is routed differently in each configuration of the subassembly: