Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Part drawing that reflects assembly configuration?

thomas_hotchkinthomas_hotchkin Member Posts: 5 PRO
Hi all,

Brand new to Onshape and struggling a little with configurations. I have a configurable assembly that is working great and will save us a lot of time doing custom designs. However, I can't figure out how to get drawings of the parts which make up the assembly. No matter how I do the drawing it just shows the part in its default configuration. The assembly has configurable dimensions, so it's not feasible to have a drawing of each possible dimension.

Is there a way to push configurations from the assembly level back through to the part file and/or drawing? Or any other workarounds other than manually changing every single part to match the assembly?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Tom.

Comments

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    Here's a discussion on the same topic: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/73851#Comment_73851 @john_mcclary had some good ideas to try.
  • Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited September 2021
    If you model your configuration parts in another document/part studio, then derive them in and use that for the assembly, it seems like it works. When you update the configuration within the derive feature, it updates the part studio, the assembly, drawings of the part studio, and drawings of the assembly. Note, you still have to hit the create version button so you can update all drawings (you don't have to actually create a new version).

I modeled the part here and then derived, and used for an assembly and drawings here. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    thomas_hotchkinthomas_hotchkin Member Posts: 5 PRO
    SethF said:
    If you model your configuration parts in another document/part studio, then derive them in and use that for the assembly, it seems like it works. When you update the configuration within the derive feature, it updates the part studio, the assembly, drawings of the part studio, and drawings of the assembly. Note, you still have to hit the create version button so you can update all drawings (you don't have to actually create a new version).

I modeled the part here and then derived, and used for an assembly and drawings here. Hope that helps!
    Thanks Seth. Unfortunately, the configurations don't work from a view-only link with that method. Also, if I'm understanding correctly that works going from part > drawing and part > assembly, but not from assembly > part, or assembly > drawing?

My assembly is made up of around 50 parts, all of which are sized to suit the overall size of the assembly, so it would be a HUGE time saver if all the drawings could update as per the assembly configuration rather than changing the configuration in 50+ parts or drawings.