Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

approvals rights

joshua_samsjoshua_sams Member Posts: 21 PRO
hi all
I'm just setting up our approvals process

iv enabled the default approval process. created a test item. created a drawing and released both the drawing and item.

iv added someone as an approver. 

unfortunately when they go to approve/reject the request is says they have no view privileges for the item
the item is listed on my homepage with the company as the owner. 

i know how to share items with other people independently off this process but it would be very odd if i had to also use this process befor getting approvals.

dose anyone know what's going wrong?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Approvers need to have at least View permissions. The data might be owned by the company, but that does not mean it is shared to the whole company. The approver must also have a Professional license to do the approval as well. Hope this helps.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • joshua_samsjoshua_sams Member Posts: 21 PRO

so are we saying if i create a document that needs approval i first need to share that document with the person iv selected as a reviewer
    NeilCooke said: Approvers need to have at least View permissions. 
    NeilCooke said:
    The data might be owned by the company, but that does not mean it is shared to the whole company.
    is there a way to set sharing over the whole company by default?

iv got documents and templates i need my whole team to use

NeilCooke said:
    The approver must also have a Professional license to do the approval as well. Hope this helps.
    this is actually quite a significant problem for me. i just renewed are company licence and added 2 new people to expand our capability. one off the selling points i used to get it approved was built in PDM as we are a start-up we haven't got an established PDM system yet. 

i specifically asked if someone with a free account could be an approver and was told yes no problem. they cant edit the file but they can view things that are shared with them and approve them. 

the people that need to review my workings are my internal customers. i cant justify buying a pro licence for 20 different people just for access to a PDM system!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Joshua, the only way for all documents to be automatically shared with the entire company is if you create a shared folder and create the document in the folder or move a document into it. The other option is to make everyone an admin (not recommended). With regards to view-only users being able to approve releases, that feature has only ever been available in Onshape Enterprise with Light User licenses (who are therefore a part of the company and authorised to approve). When you have many people who need to approve, but not edit data, the process that many Onshape Professional customers follow is to use the commenting system inside Onshape to indicate whether a design should be approved or rejected and have a lead person with a Professional license to action the release inside Onshape. This is purely a security feature to prevent unauthorised users from releasing products to manufacturing. Happy to discuss this on a call if you wish.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    This is disappointing to me as well.  I asked several times if my engineering manager would be able to approve releases with the View Only license and was told (unfortunately, verbally every time) that he would be able to.  It looks like there will be a few more steps added to the release process.  :smile:  I like Onshape a lot but there are a few things that it doesn't do as I had expected.  (not 100% true for release management.  We are closer now than we ever were - or could have been - with WindChill.)