Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT trying to login

tom_clarytom_clary Member Posts: 2
For weeks now, I have been getting the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT even trying to login into OnShape.  It seems I can't reach cad.onshape.com.  It used to work perfectly.

This happens with my personal laptop and my iPad.  It doesn't happen with my work computer either on my home network or using VPN.  I've tried both Chrome 93.0.4577.82  and Microsoft Edge.  No luck.  Everything else seems fine on my computer and network.

I have been hoping I would try and it just would start working again but no such luck.  I think OnShape is great but not being able to use it is frustrating.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @tom_clary. Something is blocking the connection to Onshape. From your description, it sounds like there is some security software that's blocking access to our servers. Do you have anything like that installed on your personal laptop or iPad?
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • tom_clarytom_clary Member Posts: 2
    The good news is, today I can reach cad.onshape.com and things seem working again.  I don't knowingly have any software installed on the laptop though it came with McAffee by default.  I've tried uninstalling it well before posting the message. Nothing on the iPad.  I will just hope things keep working.
  • hermann_baslerhermann_basler Member Posts: 2 PRO
    We've been having this same issue for the past week and it's very frustrating.  We've tried resetting our router too--still no improvement.  Every other web page works.  We've tried on both browsers as you did.  We have been using Onshape for months now with no issues.  I do believe it is a router issue because it seems to work on other networks (although not a hotspot, oddly).  That being said, there must be something with Onshape that makes it more prone to this issue.
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Try using Onshape on your mobile phone.
    And ask Onshape for support
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
  • evan_bungevan_bung Member Posts: 2
    tom_clary said:
    I have been getting the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
    This is not a problem with your web-browser, but usually it means that there are problems at the client side, such as internet connection issues or an issue with the server where your WordPress site is hosted. This error means that your web-server request take too much time and so your internet browser timed-out the current connection. When a request is sent to the web-server , and it does not respond within 30 seconds, then the browser terminates the communication attempt. Another reason could be the firewall preventing Google Chrome to load the webpage. Also in those cases, you received the error and it says This site can't be reached.  Rebooting your modem or router generally solves this issue and then you can connect to the website. Try the following simple solutions in the order in which they are listed.
    • Clear Browser Cache
    • Check your Security programs
    • Restart your router
    • Disable Proxy Settings
    Moreover, to ensure that the web service is running normally, if it is running normally, check whether the 80 port rule exists, and if the server operator has a security group policy, you also need to add the release 80 port.

• eileen_thoeeileen_thoe Member Posts: 2 EDU
    edited August 2022
    Hey, To fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error, you need to go and check your DNS domain. You are supposed to confirm that the DNS of your domain is right pointed to your hosting provider. In case you just moved your WordPress site to a new host, it could be the DNS was cached wrongly on your PC. Just wait for a while for the DNS to propagate, and maybe it would resolve the error. We can hope that chrome err_connection_timed_out will be resolved easily. If it doesn't work then maybe you can check your Windows host file by Runnig Notepad as administrator. When prompted by UAC, just tap the option of YES. Then 2) press the option of File and click to Open. Just choose All Types from the drop-down menu and double-click on hosts. In the end, just see if there is any IP address after the last # sign. If yes, remove all of them and before saving the change.