Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What does this warning mean?

jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
Just did a bunch of work, and a warning came up that said. "Could not complete this function due to system limits."
Whose systems limits? Mine or Onshape?
All I was doing is creating faces off of a CAD drawing, and then everything I had done up to that point turned red, and the warning came up. I was creating a sketch, and could not confirm it. 
All work lost :-(

In the past I had done much more creation then what I had just done, so I found it odd.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited October 2021
    There is an imposed 1km cube that you have to work within - 500m in each direction from the origin.

EDIT: if it's not that then it may be the sketch entity limit (can't remember what that is - 1000 entities?)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I was creating faces off of a CAD drawing. I was no where close to either one of those numbers. Which Is why I thought it was strange. And to have it eleminated all of my previous work once the warning came up seems very counterproductive, don't you think? A warning, and then a save out of ability would have been better.

Yeah, that's the 1km limit - do you have it at the right scale?
    Or, more likely, where is the origin?
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I have made an example for you how to start with an import.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7692e358d58547b58a5acd56/w/77fcd3f4118dfdee6c528bc8/e/69debe85ad43860b804764b1
    In sketch1 you import the dxf and you dimension 1 part, I did 1 wheel size R 350, the dxf was 1.22??? mm , so that resized the total sketch.
    After that you can start making other sketches by selecting part's of the total dxf, you can do this by using the USE command, see help file for explanation.
    You can also make other Part Studio's by using the derived command.
    So the rule is , define the size of the original dxf , you only have to be sure about one size of the object, the rest resizes.
    And to make it easier use only parts of the original sketch to make the solid part's
    NeilCooke said:
    Yeah, that's the 1km limit - do you have it at the right scale?

I'm modeling every thing full size, because I make different scale versions once completed.
    NeilCooke said:
    Or, more likely, where is the origin?

The origin is right inbetween the two drive wheel suspension assemblies.
    I have made an example for you how to start with an import.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7692e358d58547b58a5acd56/w/77fcd3f4118dfdee6c528bc8/e/69debe85ad43860b804764b1
    In sketch1 you import the dxf and you dimension 1 part, I did 1 wheel size R 350, the dxf was 1.22??? mm , so that resized the total sketch.
    After that you can start making other sketches by selecting part's of the total dxf, you can do this by using the USE command, see help file for explanation.
    You can also make other Part Studio's by using the derived command.
    So the rule is , define the size of the original dxf , you only have to be sure about one size of the object, the rest resizes.
    And to make it easier use only parts of the original sketch to make the solid part's
    Thank you. That is a might fine example you have there.