Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Сhanged the behavior of the function of setting the dimensions in the sketch

sergei_nesterovsergei_nesterov Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in General
After the last few updates, there was a problem setting the dimensions. In particular, when specifying the length of the segment. I select the size setting function with the cursor, select the segment to which I want to set the size. A linear dimension is attached automatically to the line.

But as soon as I press the left mouse button to confirm the size setting, the size suddenly changes to angular.

Why it happens? Previously, this behavior was not and was convenient. Of course I found a way out, I put the size indicating the end points on the segment, then the linear size is set without problems. But this is a more complicated way than just specifying the body of the line.

Best Answer

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Answer ✓
    The explanation for why this suddenly started happening is explained in my comment here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/75252#Comment_75252

The short explanation is that I noticed that it wasn't so easy to click a construction plane when an edge was clicked, which I guess was originally implemented to prevent issues like you're describing. This made creating angle dimensions to planes rather obnoxious in many cases (which is why I filed a bug report in the first place), but the implemented fix also had the unintended impact of making it much easier to dimension to planes accidentally. For now, prefer to model perfectly orthogonal to the sketch plane (keyboard shortcut: N) to avoid inadvertently selecting another plane.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

Answers

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Answer ✓
    The explanation for why this suddenly started happening is explained in my comment here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/75252#Comment_75252

The short explanation is that I noticed that it wasn't so easy to click a construction plane when an edge was clicked, which I guess was originally implemented to prevent issues like you're describing. This made creating angle dimensions to planes rather obnoxious in many cases (which is why I filed a bug report in the first place), but the implemented fix also had the unintended impact of making it much easier to dimension to planes accidentally. For now, prefer to model perfectly orthogonal to the sketch plane (keyboard shortcut: N) to avoid inadvertently selecting another plane.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• sergei_nesterovsergei_nesterov Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, when the angle of the sketch is normalized, the problem disappears.