Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Uploading 3 files into a single 'thing'

I have 3 parasolid files that are all part of the same assembly, and I wish to upload them into a single workspace.

I've uploaded the 3 files and tried various combinations of the offered options, but they always end up as 3 seperate 'things'; not as a singl' 'thing'.

How can I get them all in the same 'thing'.

(I'm using the word 'thing' here, because the normal words I would use 'file', 'document', 'drawing', 'assembly' all seem to have different meanings here from those I am familiar with.)

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,387
    Have you tried using the Derived feature to bring all the “things” into the same Part Studio?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Unfortunately, "thing" is too generic. We need to understand what you mean by thing.

Can you describe it in terms of your last CAD system?

I think better with analogies, here is how I understand what the things in Onshape are compared to SolidWorks for example:

Onshape             :   SolidWorks
    Document:           :  Project Folder
    Assembly            :   Assembly File *.sldasm
    PartStudio           :  MultiBody Part File *.sldprt
    Part                     :  Body    *Think of it like a body in SW but each Body is automatically treated as its own *.sldprt file without any additional exporting.
    Drawing              :  Drawing *.slddrw
    Sketch                :  Sketch
    Mate Connector :  Origin, Coordinate System, Axis, Plane, Point, (Selected Mate Reference geometry)
    Fastened Mate   :  Lock Mate, or profile mate
    Revolute Mate    :  Combination of (1) coincedent mate and (1) concentric mate
    Slider Mate          : Combination of any two mates that only allow only a sliding motion without twisting
    Planer Mate        : Coincident Mate
    Cylindrical Mate  : concentric Mate
    Pin Slot Mate       : Combination of any two mates that allow for sliding on X axis and allowing rotation on Z axis
    Ball Mate             : coincident mate which uses two points for input
    Parallel Mate       : Parallel Mate
    Tangent Mate       : Tangent Mate
    Group Mate         : Yea you wish...
    Replicate             : Copy With mates / Pattern driven component pattern
    Version                : SaveAs
    Branch                 : Pack and Go
    Merge Branch     : Two monitors and 6 pack of beer
    Comments           : Email

Let me know if there are any other comparisons I could make, this could go on for a while, and is fun to think about...

So what Neil is describing is like taking a bunch of part files, deriving them into a separate part file if we want to talk like SolidWorks
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    Unfortunately, "thing" is too generic. We need to understand what you mean by thing.

Can you describe it in terms of your last CAD system?

I think better with analogies, here is how I understand what the things in Onshape are compared to SolidWorks for example:

Onshape             :   SolidWorks
    Document:           :  Project Folder
    Assembly            :   Assembly File *.sldasm
    PartStudio           :  MultiBody Part File *.sldprt
    Part                     :  Body    *Think of it like a body in SW but each Body is automatically treated as its own *.sldprt file without any additional exporting.
    Drawing              :  Drawing *.slddrw
    Sketch                :  Sketch
    Mate Connector :  Origin, Coordinate System, Axis, Plane, Point, (Selected Mate Reference geometry)
    Fastened Mate   :  Lock Mate, or profile mate
    Revolute Mate    :  Combination of (1) coincedent mate and (1) concentric mate
    Slider Mate          : Combination of any two mates that only allow only a sliding motion without twisting
    Planer Mate        : Coincident Mate
    Cylindrical Mate  : concentric Mate
    Pin Slot Mate       : Combination of any two mates that allow for sliding on X axis and allowing rotation on Z axis
    Ball Mate             : coincident mate which uses two points for input
    Parallel Mate       : Parallel Mate
    Tangent Mate       : Tangent Mate
    Group Mate         : Yea you wish...
    Replicate             : Copy With mates / Pattern driven component pattern
    Version                : SaveAs
    Branch                 : Pack and Go
    Merge Branch     : Two monitors and 6 pack of beer
    Comments           : Email

Let me know if there are any other comparisons I could make, this could go on for a while, and is fun to think about...

So what Neil is describing is like taking a bunch of part files, deriving them into a separate part file if we want to talk like SolidWorks
    This is a useful list. I was asking in another thread for something like this. Maybe you could add onto that thread and we could build up a more complete dictionary...

Thanks.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    yea, I'll make a google spreadsheet thesaurus, should be a better format for this