Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Library version mismatch

jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
I'm copying from a CAD drawing and wanting to paste what I copyed into a Parts Studio.

I keep getting the "Library version mismatch" error.

Does that mean I am trying to copy and paste to many entities?

Comments

• Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    I don't think its possible to copy items from drawings into part studios since the behavior in such a situation is not well defined - the logical assumption is that drawing entities would get converted into sketch edges, but the mechanisms for how this would work is very unclear. The library version mismatch error is likely being given in this context as a pseudo catch-all error since Onshape doesn't really know how to handle what you're trying to do.

Accordingly, your best bet is probably to recreate the geometry from your drawing manually. You can also take a screenshot of your drawing and insert the screenshot into a sketch as an image so you can manually created sketch entities as a direct overlay more easily. There might be easier or better methods than this, but it's hard to say without a better understanding of what you're trying to do.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You can import your cad drawing into Onshape, then in the sketch you can insert the DWG/DXF

• jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Thanks Alex. I found a workaround. Well kind of. I copy from the CAD drawing, and then create another drawing and paste it. I then export that out to a DXF file, and then import that into a sketch. That way I can scale the item to a known dimention. I want to maintain the ability to stap to lines and corners, which is why I am doing it this way. If there is a better way, I'm all ears!
    John? I have to many entities in my cad drawing to import it in. I wish I could import it in, because then I could scale the entire drawing at one time.
    you could also open the autocad drawing and save multiple copies, then delete most of the excess stuff.
    Then combine it all in Onshape again.
    this is what that workflow would look like if dividing into 4 drawings

starting drawing, lets assume it's thousands of lines..

section it off:

save then make copies of the drawing:

go into each drawing and trim everything into its section

Upload them into Onshape then insert them all and transform each section

if you want a quick way to scale, then draw a line, use the autodimension tool and type 1 <enter> then change the value to your scale factor. in this case 2:

Thanks John. But here is what I'm working with. I have been grabing small areas of this drawing, and copying and pasting them into drawings. How would you suggest I do it differently?
    are you trying to convert it to 3D? it looks like your re-making 2D drawings in  a drawing tab.

I don't think I understand what your end goal is
    Yes, I am going to pull these up to 3D for printing, but I am also making componates of each part for a couple of reasons.
    1. I want to name, and model each indivitual part. Creating an assembly model.
    2. I want documentation of each part, so that no matter what wheel configuration the locomotive is in, It can be identified by each part.
    3. Once completed, I will have all the parts that make up the whole, and I can then scale the whole to what ever scale is appropriate for it's use.
    4. I might be going at this the long way around, but I am learning a lot about locomotives, which is one of my goals.
    5. If there is anyone who can suggest a better workflow, I am open to any advise.

The biggest obstical is getting information about what each part is called, and accuratly identifying it. Some of the names I have for parts so far are for my own identiy. So I'm still working on getting that worked out.

The main goal is to have all the indivitual parts done in 3D, so that my need for a large format 3D printer is lessened. These models I will be printing will finish off at about 3' long. So printing the parts to make the whole is the goal.
    The biggest issue is when I try to take the profile of the complete locomotive from the group of componates and paste it into a drawing to export it out to it's own DXF file, the program gets hung up when copying and pasting that many entities. So I find myself taking little pieces of the locomotive at a time and exporting it out. And then importing it into a sketch to scale.