Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Search shortcut any other option than alt + c?

ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
Just wondering if there is any shorter shortcut to search, in solidworks its 'W' Onshape the alt + C would be a bit nicer if it was just one letter reachable with left hand in resting position to keyboard.

I find I've stopped using any tool bars in solidworks and especially Onshape due to contextual menus depending on screen space, find it easier to just search for everything now.

I realise this is an esoteric request but would wager I am not the only person.

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    alt+c is pretty close for a keyboard shortcut, considering most people won't be holding both hands on the home row when modeling.
    that and W is already used for "window zoom"

But consider my layout, it takes two hands or an awkward stretch with my right hand :p . (see the green circles)

• Options
    ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    ouch, yeah not a big issue, just like in rhino I think enter or space allows you to type in the command. one keyboard button switch would just be a bit nicer.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I think there are a couple of improvement request for key binding. May want to join one of them