Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape and Safari 15

Anthony_O_ConnellAnthony_O_Connell Member Posts: 6
I've used Safari for a couple of years with Onshape and, up until recently, it has worked fine. However, since the release of Safari 15, palettes don't render correctly sometimes (palette elements are mangled or dropdowns only show the top option) and the Mac fans kick in like Safari is doing something really CPU intensive. Quitting and restarting Safari seems to resolve the issue temporarily. Is anyone else seeing similar problems? Firefox seems to work fine although I haven't given it much time yet.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Yep. I ended up switching to Chrome for Onshape for the same reasons. 
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @Anthony_O_Connell

I saw something missing in one dialog.
    So I switched to my iPhone to fill out that dialog

• fyorgefyorge Member Posts: 17 PRO
    I'm moving off of Safari until these issues are dealt with (either by Apple or OnShape).  I was seeing things like the interface being, overall, incredibly laggy, as well as not being able to select anything other than "blind" as the end condition for extrudes.  Very frustrating.

As I'm not a big fan of Google, and I try to limit my exposure to their world, I'm switching to Opera for the time being.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU

As I'm not a big fan of Google...
    Neither am I, so I use the Brave browser instead. It is built on the open-source Chromium browser that is Chrome, but without Google's hooks. It is a privacy focused browser that works to block lots of extra cr@p you don't need.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I'm moving off of Safari until these issues are dealt with (either by Apple or OnShape).  I was seeing things like the interface being, overall, incredibly laggy, as well as not being able to select anything other than "blind" as the end condition for extrudes.  Very frustrating.

As I'm not a big fan of Google, and I try to limit my exposure to their world, I'm switching to Opera for the time being.
    This is something we are continuing to look into.  It looks like there was an attempt at some optimizations done in the version of WebKit shipped with Safari 15 that has caused memory issues.  It looks like it is marked as fixed in their bug tracking system, but hasn't been published in safari yet.
    https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=231202
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • fyorgefyorge Member Posts: 17 PRO

This is something we are continuing to look into.  It looks like there was an attempt at some optimizations done in the version of WebKit shipped with Safari 15 that has caused memory issues.  It looks like it is marked as fixed in their bug tracking system, but hasn't been published in safari yet.
    Please keep us informed as to when this bug-fix is known to be published.  Thanks!
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657

Please keep us informed as to when this bug-fix is known to be published.  Thanks!
    This bug appears to be fixed in Safari 15.2, which looks to be available for both Big Sur and Monterey.  If you see any additional Safari issues on 15.2, please submit a support ticket.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com