Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to convert text in a sketch to lines/splines?

I'm sure I'm probably just not finding this feature as I can't imagine it not existing. I'm relatively new to CAD but I've used other apps in the past for design and there has always been a way. In Fusion 360, I believe the command is "explode text," but I can't seem to find this anywhere. I've been having some issues with engraving and need to move a few lines around, and it would be about a thousand times easier to do it in onShape than in the laser cutter app I have access to, if only I can find the option.
If it doesn't exist, I'd humbly request this feature, as I've tried multiple workarounds in my workflow and they're all surprisingly (and frustratingly) far more difficult for some reason.
I guess another workaround might be to extrude it and then try to edit the geometry? I'm not sure if that's the best idea and I feel like it would be just as difficult as my other attempted workarounds. Other parts of the project are much easier in onShape than F360 and this app is growing on me, I really like it. Otherwise I'd probably move over to that but I'm pretty far along at this point.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can explode text during export of DXF
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI