Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Measuring tool?

marty_smith037marty_smith037 Member Posts: 10
I know in other CAD programs there is usually a tool to check the distance between 2 points, lines, etc. "Dimension" in the tool bar only lets you do this IF they're movable. Does OnShape have one Im not seeing? Sure is a handy tool.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • marty_smith037marty_smith037 Member Posts: 10
    NeilCooke said:

Yeah, Im making my way through the vids now. never heard of "parts studio" though. How do I get to where I can actually use it?
    Not sure what you mean? Part Studios are mentioned in the second video https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-navigating-onshape/onshape-documents/onshape-part-studios

Also, the help docs have a lot of useful information: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch.htm?tocpath=Part%20Studios%7C_____0
    That dimension tool wont measure any two points. I always get "a dimension cannot be created between these items" error message. Its crazy important when making parts that have to fit something in real life.
    Where is that little tape measure icon? Im not seeing it. It doesnt appear when I select 2 points either.
    That dimension tool wont measure any two points. I always get "a dimension cannot be created between these items" error message. Its crazy important when making parts that have to fit something in real life.
    in a Part Studio, Sketch or Drawing? I can't think where that error would pop up. Can you share an image/video? It is most likely a misunderstanding of how it works. 

Measure is "always on" - if you select 2 or more things, the measured value appears in the bottom right. The tape icon only appears if you have many things selected (it assumes that, because you have so many things selected, you are not taking a measurement - pressing the icon then shows the measurement if you want it).
  • chandran_palanisamychandran_palanisamy Member Posts: 5
    NeilCooke said:
    in a Part Studio, Sketch or Drawing? I can't think where that error would pop up. Can you share an image/video? It is most likely a misunderstanding of how it works. 

Measure is "always on" - if you select 2 or more things, the measured value appears in the bottom right. The tape icon only appears if you have many things selected (it assumes that, because you have so many things selected, you are not taking a measurement - pressing the icon then shows the measurement if you want it).
    I am in part studio. Just drew a simple rectangle. Then selected Sketch, Dimension tool ('D') and one of the sides and nothing happened. Then selected the same side (or other sides) and either get "An entity cannot dimension itself" or "Dimension cannot be created between these two parts". I did play with a few sequences after patiently reading through Onshape forums. I think the 'D' tool can be a bit smarter.
    NeilCooke said:

I am in part studio. Just drew a simple rectangle. Then selected Sketch, Dimension tool ('D') and one of the sides and nothing happened. Then selected the same side (or other sides) and either get "An entity cannot dimension itself" or "Dimension cannot be created between these two parts". I did play with a few sequences after patiently reading through Onshape forums. I think the 'D' tool can be a bit smarter.
    You have to edit the sketch you created rather than create a new one (you can't dimension outside of the sketch) - right-click the sketch in the feature tree and select edit.