Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Composite Parts Colour Errors

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

(Question 1) I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what's going on here?

On the left we have a source part studio with a single "open" composite part, showing a dummy simplified cable assembly. 
On the right we have the same composite part brought into a different document via use of the featurescript instantiator.

Although the parts are correct in their shape roughly half of them have had the colour changed to orange, a bit like if the composite part was "closed".  In my use case that rather defeats the purpose of using a composite part in the first place.  Is this a bug or something that I've got wrong, maybe like parts could not have the colour changed via FS once they'd been set once manually?  For info using the native derive feature gives the same result so I don;t think my shonky code is the issue for once.

(Question 2)
I know Onshape justifiably don't tend to talk about timelines or what new features may or may not do...  Speaking broadly would it be reasonable to think that at some time in the future it will be possible to have a closed composite part that maintains the coulours of its component parts?  I'm trying to make a realistic looking part for our sales team, maintain wire colours for our production team, but not have the parts list scattered with both component and composite parts for yet another department...

Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @owen_sparks
    Have you actually set the colour of the grey parts or are they just default colours?
    If they are default colours, Onshape thinks it's fine to recolor them differently

Hi. 
    If it's that easy I'll be both hugely relieved and hugely embarrassed.  :( Off to look now, thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2020
    @MBartlett21 You sir are "Hero of the Day" thanks for taking the time to post the suggestion.

Dear Onshape folks.  I'm a bit narked that this was the issue.  It's not obvious whether default colours are present or not, and even if they are I strongly believe that a derive or an instantiator should preserve what is specified in the source file.

Anyway back to work :)

Cheers,
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    It's not obvious whether default colours are present or not

If you insert them into an assembly, the BOM property for colour will show Default, rather than the colour
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • noah_alperovitznoah_alperovitz Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same issue with the colors, but I did set the colors specifically.  One day in the assembly the colors of two parts were different than they were before.  When I went to check the part studios that they were inserted from, they were their original colors.  When I went back to the assembly though, it now had the correct colors, having not done anything to change the part studio.  Is this a glitch or is there something that I am missing?