Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Editing STL files?

jack_erhartjack_erhart Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
I need to resize some parts for 3D printing that are in STL format. Could someone direct me to some instruction on the proper workflow for doing this?
Or if it is worth doing in Onshape at all?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    If it's just scaling I would redo this in meshmixer or often times the software that connects the 3D printer to the computer has a scaling function. If the edit is more complex than just resizing the whole object then I remake the model in Onshape.

I wish there was a featurescript that would take the points on the surface of the mesh and generate triangular plates of a small thickness so that .stl could be edited more easily in Onshape. I've considered writing one I just haven't gotten to it yet.

If you need any help with this let me know, I'm looking for work at the moment.