Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Convert surface into sheet metal

amir_livneamir_livne Member Posts: 76 EDU
Hi
Is there any option to convert that surface into sheet metal?
Amir

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Yes! Use the thicken option in the start sheet metal feature. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    Hi Amir, use the Thicken option in the Sheet Metal Model feature to thicken the surface.
  • amir_livneamir_livne Member Posts: 76 EDU
    Hi
    That what I did but the "Thicken" does not accept round surfaces

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Onshape sheet metal does not support lofts.

• alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    How would you construct a surface that looks like that loft with a different command?
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com

• amir_livneamir_livne Member Posts: 76 EDU
    Hi 
    Yes, that  part was build by using loft command/
    Solidworks sheet metal support loft command and I thought maybe Onshape will support it too - but it doesn't 
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Just something to think about. How would you form that? Stamping? There has been plenty of discussion on that subject and it's clear that Onshape has some work to do to support the workflow for that. If the part were to be step bent on a brake it would not have smooth curves. To say that Onshape sheet metal doesn't support lofts is not quite accurate. I will say that I do get much better results with lofted solids than lofted surfaces. I create a construction part, choose the surface I want and thicken it with sheet metal then hide or delete the construction part. Most of my sheet metal is press brake work.    
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @amir_livne There are some work arounds, not sure how accurate this would be. You would create this loft on a press brake.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b61553ca7c0d34c686ac170f/w/29eed6f7cd27da738910e958/e/8cea123d979da21145b9a64b

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign