Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to measure time spent creating a document?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
I know that analytics are a feature of Enterprise accounts. I just have a Standard account.

Is there a way to export the full change history of a document to see all the time stamps? I'm trying to estimate how much time I spent creating/editing a document.

It doesn't have to be clean, but if I could get something that I could parse with Excel or some tool, I could estimate the time much better.

Best Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm pretty sure this is hard without Enterprise because it's an Enterprise feature. We recently upgraded to Enterprise and the analytics offer a lot of granular detail. I wish they'd at least give everyone the option to export the history as a csv and let you figure out what it means.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @S1mon you can get the document's history with the get document history API endpoint. There's an example Python function in this snippets library if you want to automate the time analysis.

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Bumping this in case people missed it during the holiday....
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm pretty sure this is hard without Enterprise because it's an Enterprise feature. We recently upgraded to Enterprise and the analytics offer a lot of granular detail. I wish they'd at least give everyone the option to export the history as a csv and let you figure out what it means.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited January 2022
    Edit: I posted in the wrong thread.
    Nope, nothing to do with education, except perhaps a learning experience for me to figure out a better tracking system in advance instead of thinking I can retroactively figure out the amount of time I spent.

I did some contract work and didn't do a great job of keeping track of my time. I need to bill a client and want some way to help myself reconstruct my hours.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Sorry my comment was for another thread!
  • matthew_mueller537matthew_mueller537 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @S1mon you can get the document's history with the get document history API endpoint. There's an example Python function in this snippets library if you want to automate the time analysis.
    @matthew_mueller537
    Thank you. I haven't done anything with the APIs yet, but this will be worth the time to dig into.