Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I use a desktop scanner to scan a part and design in Onshape free edition?

Anton_HartmanAnton_Hartman Member Posts: 2
I have a 3Shape dental scanner and would like to scan objects and edit/design in Onshape. Any advise on how and if I need additional software ect?

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as the scanner can output 3D mesh data in an appropriate format, you should be able to import the data and design around it. You won't be ablet to edit the meshes directly. You can look at the thread below (and some others on the forum) for some examples of how you can design around 3D scans. 

You'll have access to all the typical modeling tools with a free account, but all of your documents will be public. 

Is there any reasonable way to work with complex surfaces? — Onshape

If you want to edit the meshes directly, there are a few tools out there that can do that like meshmixer (free from autodesk): https://www.meshmixer.com