Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Branching and Merging back to Main

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
edited January 2022 in General
I'm pretty comfortable and happy with modeling in Onshape, but I'm just starting to get used to branching and merging. In one document, I made a branch ("B1"), and now it really should be the main branch. I've tried merging it into Main, but there are too many changes and it's a mess.

Do I end the "Main" branch somehow (how?)?

I was most recently working on the document in B1, but somehow in reopening the document, it pulled up Main. This was frightening because for a split second I thought I had lost work. Why did it decide to do this? How do I avoid that in the future?

I've been through the training info, but it's been a while so if this is all in there, forgive me...

Thanks,
-Simon
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hey Simon. Branching and Merging is a big topic. I made a video about it here, about how I've started thinking about it that people have told me they found useful. This way of thinking about it hasn't steered me wrong yet, but a word of warning; the video oversimplifies it just a bit and you can read the true true from Ilya in this thread. I also was informed today that drawings don't merge, they overwrite, so be careful there (I don't do enough collaborative drawings to have run into this). If you've already made a mess, this may not totally help you, but there is a hard-to-wrap-one's-head-around advanced workflow to remove an action from the list and keep everything else, which you can check out here. Onshape, if you're reading this, please make drawings merge like everything else. Merging is a main ingredient of your secret sauce.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

Answer ✓
    Hey Simon. Branching and Merging is a big topic. I made a video about it here, about how I've started thinking about it that people have told me they found useful. This way of thinking about it hasn't steered me wrong yet, but a word of warning; the video oversimplifies it just a bit and you can read the true true from Ilya in this thread. I also was informed today that drawings don't merge, they overwrite, so be careful there (I don't do enough collaborative drawings to have run into this). If you've already made a mess, this may not totally help you, but there is a hard-to-wrap-one's-head-around advanced workflow to remove an action from the list and keep everything else, which you can check out here. Onshape, if you're reading this, please make drawings merge like everything else. Merging is a main ingredient of your secret sauce.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
    Thanks for reminding me about your video. I've watched all of them, but it's been a little while.
    @Evan_Reese
    Ok. Now I get why I'm confused. Basically I want B1 to become the main branch. When I merge it into Main, it makes a mess that doesn't seem worthwhile to clean up. 

From your video I was reminded about where the Delete (branch) command shows up. I can delete my branch B1, but I can't delete Main. Is there something I'm missing, or is Main somehow sacred in Onshape?
    The Main Workspace is indeed sacred and shan't be deleted henceforth and forevermore.
    It makes sense that you always need one active workspace, the same way you always have to have at least one tab in a document. I'm OK with that. But it seems a bit broken that you can't delete "Main". Not that it was your decision.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Evan's video really helped me, but I still can't help but feel that the whole merging process still feels somewhat opaque and scary. The 'compare' tool helps but has let me down a couple of times because it doesn't show hidden parts from versions. 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,488 PRO
    Not sure what you mean by "makes a mess" when you merge...
    However if you want the main to become exactly like your B1, all you have to do is go to main and restore it to the version you created b1 from and then merge B1 in there. Main should now be exactly the same as B1 and you can delete the B1 workspace.
  • edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    "all you have to do is go to main and restore it to the version you created b1 from and then merge B1 in there. Main should now be exactly the same as B1 and you can delete the B1 workspace."
    @eric_pesty : Wow!  I  can recall a few white-knuckle merges that probably would have gone much better if I had heard this sooner.  Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!!