Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

STEP Model exports sometimes have colors, sometimes are monochrome

tom_cassidytom_cassidy OS Professional Posts: 8
Can't seem to find a pattern to this.  Sometimes when I export I get all of the part colors, sometimes it just comes out monochrome.  If I keep re-exporting the same part trying different options and sequences it eventually seems to work but nothing seems to be consistent.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tom_cassidy if you believe this is something to be reported to OS Use ?-menu and put in feedback. After uploading a step file you can always change the appearance (Color) of a single or multiple parts at once to match your preferences.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • tom_cassidytom_cassidy OS Professional Posts: 8
    Hi, Nav, thanks for the reply.  But my issue has to do with exporting the STEP to another program (Altium Designer in my case.)  I'm creating models of electronic parts and want the colors to be represented.  I color the part within OS and export, and the colors disappear when I import the model into Designer, sometimes.  I'll report it to OS as well.  Thanks!
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tom my bad, you are right I answered for import and not export. Sorry, you should use Use ?-menu and send some feedback to OS regarding the issue.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    I would like the Onshape be able to color faces!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @3dexter is coloured faces on @lougallo 's voting list ?
    If not you should add it, I'll give it my vote
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    "Coloured Faces on Parts" on the Improvement list for voting.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited July 2015
    Ah, just added Color by face and feature to voting..  :o

And now I see there is also 3dexter suggestion already.. but I didn't see it in forum side @lougallo

//rami
  • tom_cassidytom_cassidy OS Professional Posts: 8
    Here's the answer from Onshape Support:

In Onshape, if you specifically assign an appearance to the part (right click -> Edit Appearance), that appearance is written into the STEP file and should carry over to any other programs you bring the STEP into. This will also increase the file size because it's more data that the model needs to handle.

However, if you do not specifically assign an appearance to the part and just allow Onshape to choose the appearance, even if it's the one you want, Onshape does not assign any color data upon export, so you'll see a smaller file, and Onshape will choose a random color from its color pallet when you re-import the model. Sometimes this will be what you want, but most of the time it won't.

• almaz_khamidullinalmaz_khamidullin Member Posts: 4
    I set appearance for parts. But exported step file don't contain colors information. Import of previously exported file shows me random colors for every part. But I am pretty sure that I set appearance before exporting (right click -> set appearance)! That behaviour started today. Previously, export saved colors.  What can be a problem?
    I just imported step file with its size of 569 kB. After opening I did nothing - only exported it. Resulted file's size is 476 kB. Color info is missed.
    I set appearance for parts. But exported step file don't contain colors information. Import of previously exported file shows me random colors for every part. But I am pretty sure that I set appearance before exporting (right click --> edit appearance)! That behaviour started today. Previously, export saved colors. What can be a problem?
  • thibault_lainethibault_laine Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    I have exactly the same problem. And I'm sure I set appearance for all parts.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    This is a known bug in export appearance - we'll hopefully have a fix for it soon.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Care to share a list of known bugs?
    //rami
  • t_caryt_cary Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    It seems that edited appearance and assigned materials don't get exported in any format.  Even if you use OneRender from within Onshape you have to re-apply materials to parts using their interface.  Why?  Why can't we manually match file names of textures to the default list of materials in OnShape?  I get that it's would add slightly to file size, but what a handy option instead of assigning materials and appearance to the same part multiple times in your workflow.  You could make it a toggle option in export, "include materials and appearances".  Right?
  • Christina_CyrChristina_Cyr Member Posts: 2
    I realize this post is quite old, but I ran into this problem myself today, trying to export an OnShape STEP file, then applying it to an Altium project, and having the color attributes not display in Altium.

I found the solution on the Altium side.

1. In Altium, click on the imported 3D body.
    2. Go to the 3D Body [Properties] panel, and scroll to the bottom to find the <Display> section.
    3. Uncheck "Override Color". Viola! The STEP file colors can now be displayed!