Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why Can't I revolve Sketch 2 ? It should be a bowl with the profile of Sketch 2. All else gone.

Comments

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    It looks like the revolve is creating something nonmanifold. As a debugging step, I'd move the two top corners of the bowl sketch so that they're not coincident with the block edges, and to revolve-remove negative volumes instead of the bowl volume itself.

I managed to convince it to at least regenerate like so: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56a716a27a35b42f36c07d8a/w/ade5e396197a15bb4b8eeeb1/e/73500d7e38d3bb489c461ae6
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Cool bowl design! You're getting what's called "zero thickness geometry". It's what happens when you try to do an operation that creates an infinitely thin section of a solid. This can be frustrating for things like your case where you really don't care about that. You can diagnose in the future by paying attention to the red line and red dot that shows up. That's the area that's causing an issue. To fix it, you can just barely tweak your input sketch so it's not sitting exactly on the edge of that part, like so.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    There must be some "zero thickness" geometry somewhere, I can do 359degrees symmetric intersect but won't accept 360... I guess you can't do a just half and mirror as it's not symmetric...
  • paul_bartlettpaul_bartlett Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Got it, Thanks All