Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

solid parts won't extrude

finn_herfinn_her Member Posts: 2 EDU
I've been getting this problem where I use a circular pattern to make a propeller and only the first blade is being extruded but not the others. Maybe it's because Onshape can't detect the other blades from the circular pattern?
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fa1d708d04c816903496b989/w/aa05a7c28b4e031002d3c4f4/e/d13cc5d6219f84edcb747eb8?renderMode=0&uiState=6218daf103898d0c94c811f6

Comments

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 273
    edited February 2022
    These segments are missing, so the sketch region isn't closed.

You'll find it easier to make a blade and pattern that, rather than using a sketch pattern. A single part is easier to work with than a bunch of sketch entities, as you can see here.

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    edited February 2022
    Hi! 

I took a look and have a couple pointers. First, its important to know that only fully enclosed parts of sketches can be extruded. Fully enclosed areas are shown with a shaded fill in the area that is enclosed. Looking at your sketch you can see that only part of it (the center and one blade) are shown as fully enclosed. So your next step should be investigating why that is happening and where the gap is. Looks like _anton has found it.

_anton's suggestion is great and I definitely recommend making the initial blade as a part and then patterning that. But I also wanted to see how you could fix your sketch so I made a copy and tried.

I deleted the patterned blades and the lines, and then selected all of the original blade and redid the circular pattern since it looked like some of the lines weren't actually created by the pattern in your sketch. You can see this by hovering over the circular pattern constraint icon that shows up in the sketch when you hover your mouse over the sketch geometry. 

You can see the document and the sketch where I fixed this here. Take a look at the link and the sketch. Note all the blades have grey fill inside of them, indicating the area is fully enclosed.

Another thing to note is that when sketches are blue, that is Onshape telling you that the lines and geometry aren't fully constrained. You haven't fully defined all the lengths, angles, and dimensions. Here is an example where I added more dimensions to fully define your sketch. I suggest fully defining your initial blade first, then making the circular pattern. Also, its important to make sure you constrain the center point of your circular pattern, probably to the center of the circle!
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2022
    I'd break this up into multiple features. Your circular sketch pattern I believe should be a feature pattern and not a sketch pattern.

I know this will be controversial but try and keep sketch entities under 10 entities per sketch for robustness purposes. Features are more robust than sketch entities. In the early days parametric modeling, we were trying to build robust models and looking for tips to create models that could handle change, this was a tip shared and I still believe it's relevant.