Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to create a new document based on an elder version of another drawing

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
Hi, 

I would create a new document from some first steps of another drawing I did. Can I only do this with branch or would it be possible to create another document just with these few steps skip the history after that step and be completely detached from the original document? 
A use case as example: I created a master sketch in older example, but I saw the hint to leave that sketch in its own design and derive other documents for it later. Now I would like to cut out the variables and the master sketch into a basic document "afterwards" and throw all the history of the actions after this design as it is not needed. The new document shall also be completely detached from the original so it will not get updated by changes in the original

Thanks for your help

Markus

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    You can:

1. View the version history and right-click on the version you want to keep or copy. Select "restore <branch name". This will copy this version into the current workspace for the branch. You can really, just stop right here, if you want. You can now create new versions from this point to reference in your other documents. 
    2. HOWEVER, if you really want a "clean" history, after doing step 1, you can go back to your documents page, right click on the document name and select "copy workspace" which will copy the last workspace you created and put it into a new document. Again, the benefit of this is that it gives you a document without any history. 
    I would probably just do step #1 only, just in case I need to reference that history sometime in the future. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can also select the version you want to keep, then go to the “hamburger” menu (top left) and select “Copy version” to create a new document based on that version with all history removed. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI